Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just joined the club. Picked up an 06 OR, 6spd, 104k, Cooper Discoverer ATP's. Got a passing grade from the local Nissan dealer. Only negative marks on the Carfax was a failed emissions test in '16. I'll be the 3rd owner.

To my knowledge it has OEM TC/Tensioners, and Cats. How worried should I be of this/should I replace preemptively or wait?

I plan to change all fluids this coming weekend (its a new to me ride and cant hurt) and replace plugs and wires within the next 5k miles (per dealer inspection recommendation).

What else should I be keeping an eye on as far as normal issues that pop up around that 100k milestone. What should my first mod be for light back country driving here in CO?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome! I'm at around 115k mi on my '06 and have just changed my chains/tensioner shoes and passenger side cats. The chains and shoes definitely were finished, it had been whining a while.The cats actually looked quite nice inside. it was the outside that was disintegrating in my case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics will be coming tomorrow. She is a bit dirty from the rain we just got so I gotta pretty her all up for the "before" photoshoot.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Welcome! That's a fine year of X you have there, low miles for the year too.

The three things that matter most for keeping your X among the living are the radiator (replace to prevent potential fluid mixing from an early model defect, aka SMOD), I replaced mine at 114k. The timing chains will let you know gradually that they need attention, the noise starts off as a light supercharger-like noise that you hear sometimes and eventually will be loud and present all of the time except at idle. Any dealer can confirm it for you, by now they've probably done hundreds of these repairs. The dealer my brother worked at said they did the timing repairs every single day with a new truck. The third thing is the catalytic convertors. They are placed VERY close to the exhaust valves, they might as well be part of the headers with how close they are, if the cats fail and the ceramic breaks up the VVT (emissions speak for the engine pulls a bit of the exhaust back in on every stroke) the dust gets pulled in and usually destroys the rearmost cylinder piston rings. It's happened to a few people on here and they usually have to swap a new engine in.

Other than that it's all general maintenance, plugs are due at 100k, also we don't have 'wires' per say, we have coil packs. I'm not sure why they recommend replacing them all without having a current problem, I'm still running the originals at 163k, I just keep a spare in the cargo in case I have trouble out on the trails.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Awesome! It's a great community here, great honest support. Really happy with my 06 OR also and how it's performing. All the necessary costly stuff have been mentioned above, and no worries about SMOD in your case. Just take care of that clutch, perhaps go with better aftermarket later.

If you're planning to wheel it, get tires and sliders first, for grip and rocker protection. Believe me they will hit first.

Enjoy your ride!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
13 Participants
Brunnie
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing