·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bounce: :bounce:

It works!

OK, I started with a messy table:

Then tore the map lights apart

Then dremmeled the circuit board down to size and soldered the LED's in with resistors and zener diodes

It would appear that the LED's are just SLIGHTLY brighter and awesomer looking...

and Voila! The lights, they are bad ass...

·
on line
1,479 Posts
awsome. put a list of parts and maybe a wiring diagram i would like to try that

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, here's a basic list of parts:

24 LED's from theledlight.com, I used cool white, 30 degree (20 would be brighter, which you don't need, and 40 degree would be softer, which I think I recommend) 5mm clear LED's

http://www.theledlight.com/5mmwhleds.html

And head up to radio crap and pick up some circuit board, solder, soldering iron (if you don't have one) and a couple packs (2 packs with 5 each) 1/2 watt, 100ohm resistors.

The resistors are 99 cents a pack, circuit board is probably 3 bucks (you don't need much) and the solder and iron depend on what you get, but don't go wild.

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

that site is what I used to do the math, I just wired four rows in parallel of three led's in series, each row with a 100ohm resistor.

I'll do the dome light later and post some better pics if you guys would like.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Have you noticed a difference in temp? I wonder how hot it gets

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LED's don't get hot at all. the way a traditional light works is by a (usually tungsten) filament in a vacuum dissapating so much heat that it glows, an LED light uses very low current, and pretty much won't get hot at all. and they'd take about 200 times as long to drain your battery if you left them on. They also last basically forever and look way cooler, LED's are the way of the future my friends!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Now that is cool. Now, I need to find a Red/White LED so I can flip between bright white light and Red light for reading maps at night and not screwing with night vision.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
LED's don't get hot at all. the way a traditional light works is by a (usually tungsten) filament in a vacuum dissapating so much heat that it glows, an LED light uses very low current, and pretty much won't get hot at all. and they'd take about 200 times as long to drain your battery if you left them on. They also last basically forever and look way cooler, LED's are the way of the future my friends!

kool I was wondering not because of the LEDs but bc of the resistors

thanks for the info. i will probably do the mod next week once the parts arrive

by the way, are you doing the other lights? I think I will

·
on line
1,479 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
I'll be doing all the interior lights, and eventually some custom tail lights too.
Now, those tail lights are something I really want to see. I have seen them in some of the new cadilacs they look great. Is there a special LED that I would need to buy? or can it be done with the same LEDs?

·
on line
559 Posts
The Maxima crowd has down LED taillights for awhile now. Modeled after the G35. Now, I see that the Muranos have them stock.

Dragonplayboy, you willing to do this on a project fee basis? The LED tails would pair up nicely with my HID projector project in the front.

[/i]

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
on line
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'll do the other two interior lights tonight, or at least one of them. stay tuned for pics and a better how-to!

·
on line
1,479 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
let me figure out what it's going to take first... and if I were to do it, I'd probably need your lights for at least a few days, and I really don't have the resources to replace them if I beef something.

These bulbs are a direct replacement, and they illuminate the housing in a really cool pattern, just order two pairs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs...ryZ33713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
if we want the same look as the others i guess we need a circular pattern made out of the circuit board.

·
on line
559 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
let me figure out what it's going to take first... and if I were to do it, I'd probably need your lights for at least a few days, and I really don't have the resources to replace them if I beef something.

These bulbs are a direct replacement, and they illuminate the housing in a really cool pattern, just order two pairs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs...ryZ33713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Nah, I don't want just the bulb area lit up, I'd want the whole light assembly to light up. Just like factory.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=26555-Z50LH

1 - 20 of 112 Posts