Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the diffs are weak, but how about fragging a CV?
I was buried to the frame in thick, nasty black, peanut butter gunk today after tugging someone out who himself had been stuck. Taking a strap backwards, and I never hit 2500 Rs, then BANG. I think, crap, there goes the front diff. Hours later (2 other rigs stuck in helping me out) as we're headed home on pavement, I'm hearing chunka-chunka from the front. I assumed it was spider gears flopping around. In the driveway, I take a look and sure enough, the passenger side inner is almost fully disconnected and grease has been flung all throughout the enginebay and undercarriage.
I have "Executive Premier Coverage" (whatever that means)/ Mechanical Protection plan, so they're pickin' it up at 8 tomorrow and hauling it into their shop. I'll update as to how it's handled and what is/isn't covered..

·
on line
131 Posts
When Irishsaint broke his second front diff the splined end of the left CV broke off also. It looked like the spider gear came loose and snapped the end of the axle off.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diggin' into the Gen2 forum on XOC, it looks like I'm the 2nd one to go :blackeye: .. GEO### busted one on his '05 back in March of '06.
Thanks Miles, it should be fully covered..

·
on line
841 Posts
DBAX, stories like this make me less certain about coming out to our meets :) Hope everything works out with fixing it.

P.S. This is karlover007

·
on line
576 Posts
Dan, I don't think there is any obstacle you won't tackle. They need to start building these trucks around you, then they would be bullet proof. Hope the fix goes smoothly.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I really hope that it is just your CV. To be honest, I would rather blow the CV than the diff. Half shafts can be found in junk yards for about $135 each and they take no time at all to change. They are also the same on both sides, so you can carry one spare and use it on either side.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like SOP for Nissan on this one.. They're replacing the diff, and both halfshafts.

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brought it in Monday morning (4-30), got a call today (5-02) at 1:00 saying it's done. :cheers:

Kinda' dissapointed they left all the CV grease splattered underneath, but hey, I've got my X back.

·
on line
551 Posts
Good to see you got it back so quick and with no hassle.
Shame on the non clean up: just seems like laziness of their part.
But if you're OK with it, then it's all good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts