Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have had really good luck w/ my 2006 2wd Xterra. dont take it off road, just a lot of highway miles. the dealership says they hear a slight wine in the engine when i start it up, but i dont hear anything. i want this truck to go 250k+.

just not sure if i spend the money to replace the timing chain, tensioners, and linear guides?

thoughts?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has anybody had the chain just snap on them or were there always signs it was going out?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I heard a whine that sounded like the power steering pump. I would suggest taking it to another mechanic shop (not dealership) and have them check for it. I did that and they were correct in their diagnosis. I got a quote from the dealer for $1800, but I went with the non dealership mechanic and repaired the timing chain and replaced the radiator (to address the SMOD issue that Nissan said didn't exist) at the same time for $1800.

I've found that most dealerships (not all) are out for themselves and will squeeze the most amount of money out of a customer if given the chance.

Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I diagnose smod? How do I know when I have an issue? I hear a lot about it.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
unless you frequently check your radiator fluid, you won't know until the transmission starts slipping. the fluid will literally look like a strawberry milkshake when contamination happens.

Most guys around here do the radiator bypass (so the transmission fluid does not get cooled by the radiator anymore). I did that and added an auxiliary transmission cooler to prevent the possibility of smod.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just replaced my U-joints a couple days ago. Small amount of tranny fluid comes out when I remove the yoke. Looked OK. On side question, my transmission fluid is the original fluid it came with. By the time I started worrying about it at 100k, work buddies said I should leave it til failure so I don't stir up shavings. Thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts