Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an idea I had.... The 275/70R18 Duratracs are 33.2" x 11.5" - 11.75" wide. The 295/65R18's are 33.1" x 12.25" - 12.5" wide. The tread is .75" wider exactly by my measurements. I had 275/65R18's before my BL and they fit with room to spare. After the BL and 295/65's I had to trim a lot of metal behind the front wheels. This is with a 3" F/ 2.5" R SL also. That should have let me throw much larger tires on of the same width but the extra width up front killed me. Been debating going with 295/70 Trail Grapplers all around. Don't have little **** syndrome and don't really like the handling after BL. So... was thinking of 275/70 up front and 295/65 out back. That should allow the removal of BL with better handling and no loss of clearance over the expensive stuff underneath.

Here are the specs. Notice the difference in rotations is one per mile. 295 = 628 / 275 = 627. That also works out well since F/R weight distribution is not even on X's. It's 2973# F and 2676# R on my 2011 Pro 4-X. With even tire pressure or -2# R, there is no appreciable difference. Using same width wheels front/rear, handling should be better, drift should lessen and rear balance and grip should be ideal. It is only 3/8 of tread width inside and out (3/4" total) difference. Enough to save some metal hacking but impossible to tell the difference unless you bend down and read the #'s.

275: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+DuraTrac&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=77QR8WDT&tab=Specs

295: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+DuraTrac&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=965PR8WDT&tab=Specs

These are the only AT or MT tires in both 17" and 18" that this could work with AFAIK after TONS of research. I've searched high and low for tires and wheels numerous times. These are my third set of wheels and fourth set of tires including the stock T&W's. My X still only has 11.5K miles and I got it two years ago yesterday. Just throwing out an idea for anyone who like's 18's AND Duratracs and doesn't like BL's AND hacking on their vehicle. For a spare(s) I figured one of each or just a 275/70. I may still go with 34.5's and BL but I'd like to ditch the BL and it will save me $ but cost me time and effort. Thanks for listening :) .
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I go on dry/rutted or wet/muddy fire-roads almost daily when I drive it. That or deep sand on the beach when I'm out for pleasure. Not like ya'll west of the river though. No rocks really but we go to E. Tennessee 2-3X a year. There's similar terrain to what is out west, just not the altitude. Stick with BL and go 34.5's in your opinion? I thought the minimal difference in tire size would have zero compromise if I use 4H or even 4L with locker. Am I mistaken? If I use the locker, it will most likely be for less than 50 yards the way I drive. Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

I forgot to say the wheels are 8.5" wide with +18mm offset.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
What wheels did you have clearance issues with? I'm guessing they were high offset or low backspace (either moves the centerline outboard of the WMS) ... if you can move the wheel centerline back towards the WMS (which, I know means *another* set of wheels), you'll decrease the scrub radius of the tire & alleviate the body interference. Are the two tire sizes the same load rating? Generally speaking it would be highly in-advisable to run differently sized tires front & rear, but if they're the same effective diameter (rolling radius) I guess I have a hard time coming up with real reasons why that should be the case ... doesn't mean I'd do it or recommend it; but admittedly, like I said, couldn't really say why.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
14,613 Posts
My instincts tell me that your wheels should match, and the spare also.
but you are talking about 18 inch wheels so your side sidewall is not going to give you much when you air down,(if you do..)

when you get a flat, while off road, will your spare fit in the wheel position that has gone flat?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They don't rub at all inside front or rear. Just had to hack inches off the outside wheel well behind front tires so I could lock the wheels both directions when turning at speed with shocks compressed and extended. I went to a big deep culvert (think half pipe, 4-5' high and about 20' across at the tops. I just drove up and down it at about 10-15 MPH turning side to side and hacking metal until I didn't hear any more noise. I had metal shears with me and kept getting out to cut more. Wife was with me (massive mistake). There were coyotes and bobcats all over and raccoons fighting, she was pissed! I can't type all the names she called me for hacking up a new vehicle... women... ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts