Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a clunking sound coming from the front area when going over bumps. I've already replaced the sway bar bushings, sway bar end links and both front body mounts. The dealer said I need both lower control arm bushings & front strut bearing replaced. I didn't know it had a front strut bearing. Dealer said $1700 to replace that stuff. My Xterra is 2008 S-model with 70,000 miles. My wife drives it to work and we have never had it off road. It just surprises me that a Nissan with that low of mileage and well taken care of would have that stuff worn out already. Anyone else had this problem ? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
thats a ripoff....you can buy brand new lower control arms with brand new bushings and ball joints for $300 or less. the "strut bearing" theyre talking about is most likely the upper mount on the strut. how old are your shocks? if you're doing suspension you might as well get new ones if you haven't in a while. if I were you, now would be a good time to just get a new lifted suspension. if you don't do that at the very least, install cam bolts in your new LCA's and anti-seize the **** out of them. Also, if you "rent" a spring compressor from say advance auto parts you can do the job by yourself for free.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Xterra is completely stock. I've considered doing a lift but haven't decided. I'm almost to the point of just trading it in and say screw it. Thanks got the help so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
You have 6 years of use on that suspension, just spend the $ and refresh it if nothing else. You can get way better prices from Rockauto, and many other places. Suspension components do wear out. If you want it lifted, and your wife(primary driver it seems) is ok with it, then do it. A nice aftermarket setup with lift can be done for the kinda $ the stealership is trying to charge you. Also the parts needing replacement can be done in the driveway in a couple hours. If ya need help I'm sure someone local could help ya out for beer and pizza.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since this is my wife's daily driver and its never been offroad, I would have guessed it would have had less problems than this out of a Nissan. We have owned a couple other Gen 2 X's that we bought new also and had a few minor problems. I guess I've just had bad luck. We went and drove new 4 door Jeep Wranglers last night and it looks like we are trading. Thanks again for y'all's help.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
The newer Heeps are miles apart from those of the past, but for a pavement pounder I would still pick the X.

Back to the OP:

From Rockauto:
Lower control arms-$85 ea.
Stock coilover-$115ea.
So about $400 in parts, and a couple hours of wrench time in the driveway/garage.

As to lifespan of suspension- nothing lasts forever, I have about 70k on my aftermarket parts and things are in need of refreshing.

Or if you really wanted a Heep you have your excuse, and the wifes permission to go buy one..........

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Since this is my wife's daily driver and its never been offroad, I would have guessed it would have had less problems than this out of a Nissan. We have owned a couple other Gen 2 X's that we bought new also and had a few minor problems. I guess I've just had bad luck. We went and drove new 4 door Jeep Wranglers last night and it looks like we are trading. Thanks again for y'all's help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Poser

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I bought a new Rubicon a couple years ago and we were in the woods about every weekend in it. I buried it in mud and ect and put about 80k miles on it and never replaced a bolt. I bought my wife a new X in 06 and had problems with it and it was only driven on the street. We traded it and bought the 08 X that we have now. For a street driven vehicle I have replaced more stuff besides the stuff I mentioned and I beat the crap out our jeep and replaced nothing. I expect better quality out of a Nissan than a jeep but I haven't had that luck. We have enjoyed the X but the newer Jeeps drive a lot better than a X does. We will be taking the new jeep in the woods, it won't be a "mall crawler".
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device
For a guy who would bring his X to a dealer. You're not going to do well with a jeep. I've had several. Either lease, learn to wrench or take the buss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For a guy who would bring his X to a dealer. You're not going to do well with a jeep. I've had several. Either lease, learn to wrench or take the buss.
It's funny how you can make assumptions of what kind of tech I am. If you only really knew. Haha. The only reason I took it on was to buy more parts that were worn out on it and while talking to the service manager he said he wanted to throw it up on the lift to look at it. I haven't heard of anyone with a X with LCA bushings worn out at 70k miles so I was open to his opinion. There wasn't a snow balls chance I was gonna pay them to do the work. I didn't even pay them to put it on the rack, they wanted to cause they had never heard that kind of clunk noise and they wanted to know for themselves. I've built several Jeeps, muscle cars and motorcycles. BTW, I've also had several jeeps but don't know how to work on them....because I never had to,
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have seen this thread a few times and have had it. Lets review the bidding.

Chrysler bought Jeep, and then for years hosed everyone that bought one by selling garbage and not backing it (I know from my own experience). Then they run the thing into the ground and go bankrupt, but instead of really going bankrupt the people that ran it into the ground, both management and workers, get bailed out. The rest of the company is handed to Fiat, who has already been laughed out of this country once.

But, their all better now and I should buy a Jeep because that was then?

You have heard the old saying about fool my once right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Boy, did this thread go to ****.
Yeah I know. I ask for a little advice and everything is good until I mentioned Jeep and the thread turned into a pissing contest and I'm the bad guy.
Thanks to the folks that tried to help. This thread is over.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 27 Posts