Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys -

I recently pulled the trigger on a 2011 Pro4x and am very excited about it (I've been looking at Xterras for over a year).

I need new tires and herein is my dilemma... The X has stock 16" wheels and I can just buy new tires BUT on my other truck (which I am going to sell) I have a set of very new (<6000 miles) BFG KO2 tires on 17" rims. It will actually be cheaper for me to buy 17" wheels for my new X and toss on my current KO2 tires than for me to buy new KO2 tires for the stock 16" rims (I have a back up set of 17" tires I'd toss on my truck when I sell it).

What are the main pros and cons of 16" vs. 17" wheels and tires? I figure highway driving will be better on 17" wheels (less sway in the sidewall) but off-roading would be better with 16" wheels (more flex from larger sidewalls and a larger side wall should minimize damage to the wheel).

Is there really a difference or am I over thinking this?

Am I correct that the largest tire I can have on the two different wheels would be 285/75r16 and 285/70r17 using the "melt mod"?

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi guys -

I recently pulled the trigger on a 2011 Pro4x and am very excited about it (I've been looking at Xterras for over a year).

I need new tires and herein is my dilemma... The X has stock 16" wheels and I can just buy new tires BUT on my other truck (which I am going to sell) I have a set of very new (<6000 miles) BFG KO2 tires on 17" rims. It will actually be cheaper for me to buy 17" wheels for my new X and toss on my current KO2 tires than for me to buy new KO2 tires for the stock 16" rims (I have a back up set of 17" tires I'd toss on my truck when I sell it).

What are the main pros and cons of 16" vs. 17" wheels and tires? I figure highway driving will be better on 17" wheels (less sway in the sidewall) but off-roading would be better with 16" wheels (more flex from larger sidewalls and a larger side wall should minimize damage to the wheel).

Is there really a difference or am I over thinking this?

Am I correct that the largest tire I can have on the two different wheels would be 285/75r16 and 285/70r17 using the "melt mod"?

Thanks in advance guys.
You pretty much have the big picture.
Personally I like the 16"s on the Xterra but it depends what YOU like.
If your KO2s are 285/70/17 they should be fine.
Just make sure you get the correct backspacing for 17" rims.
I believe stock rims are -30 offset

If it were me, I would throw on the spare set of tires on the truck you're selling, also sell the KO2s on the side and buy a set of 285/75/16 tires, but NOT KO2s as I personally think they are way overated and overpriced.
Grabber AT2s are a good choice.. So are the Falken AT3Ws

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You pretty much have the big picture.
Personally I like the 16"s on the Xterra but it depends what YOU like.
If your KO2s are 285/70/17 they should be fine.
Just make sure you get the correct backspacing for 17" rims.
I believe stock rims are -30 offset

If it were me, I would throw on the spare set of tires on the truck you're selling, also sell the KO2s on the side and buy a set of 285/75/16 tires, but NOT KO2s as I personally think they are way overated and overpriced.
Grabber AT2s are a good choice.. So are the Falken AT3Ws
30 offset not -30...

forgot to add the pic. No real difference that I noticed. I prefer the 16s though. 17 in front. 16 in the back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, my current KO2's are 265/70r17 so that is what I would be using on my new X. While I would like the 285/75r16 I wonder how practical that is.

I'll probably run stock suspension for a year... that said should my decision on wheel size consider any future suspension mods? I'll never go crazy but I could see a modest (1.5-2") lift in a year or so.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Thanks for the pic!

What are the size of the tires in the photo?

Also, what's that bumper you have?
Fronts are 255/80r17 (33+) and rear are 285/75r16. That picture is probably 2.5" front lift + 3" rear lift. The bumper is a hefty fabworks.

Also, my current KO2's are 265/70r17 so that is what I would be using on my new X. While I would like the 285/75r16 I wonder how practical that is.

I'll probably run stock suspension for a year... that said should my decision on wheel size consider any future suspension mods? I'll never go crazy but I could see a modest (1.5-2") lift in a year or so.
All those sizes run fine. Stock suspension or not.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-tos/1346-how-melt-mod-making-285-75-16-tires-fit-*.html
(stinks that all the pics are gone. Basically, use a heat gun/hair dryer to soften the plaster and bend it back so the 33s don't rub. You may even have to do this for 32s depending on the offset of the 17" wheels you pick.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/14-sus...e-read-2005-xterras-updated-12-09-2010-a.html

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
If you go 17, your tire costs are higher in the future, as similar size 17 vs 16 in the same brand are about 50 bucks more per tire - at least currently. No idea why.

However going to aftermarket rims will allow you to buy wider rims, and still have the tires within the manufacturers specs for rim width, although plenty of people around here run 285's on the stock 7 inch wide rim without issue. Correct me if I am wrong but I think ChrisHaynesUSA is running 305's on stock 7 inch steelies if I am not mistaken.

I think it boils down to preference, and how much you could sell your 17's for if you decided to go that route.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
They are 315's on stock 7" wheels. Most of the guys on 35's including myself use stock 7" wide wheels.
I assume no issues running the 315's on the stock rims or you would have mentioned it?

I read completely through ChrisHaynes build thread once and couldn't find specific mention beyond getting the rims's powder coated - of course by page 20 my brain was on tilt so I may have easily missed it.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I assume no issues running the 315's on the stock rims or you would have mentioned it?

I read completely through ChrisHaynes build thread once and couldn't find specific mention beyond getting the rims's powder coated - of course by page 20 my brain was on tilt so I may have easily missed it.

I've never heard of an issue other than finding a tire place that will do it. Just need to run slightly lower pressure on the road than you would with wider wheels.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just went from 265's on 16's to 285's on 17's and I think it looks pretty good. I didn't necessarily want to but I had to in order to get the wheels with the specs I wanted. It turned out way better than I expected and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know. Do you have any pics?

I am looking at the Level 8 MK6 wheels. 17"x8". with 4.5" backspacing and 0 offset (with BFG KO2 265/70r17 tires). I assume that will work out just fine? I am not 100% of everything I need to consider which is why I'm turning to you guys for advice.

I've read that those wheels are fairly heavy but the price for lighter ones is out of the budget right now. Is that an issue I should look more into?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good to know. Do you have any pics?

I am looking at the Level 8 MK6 wheels. 17"x8". with 4.5" backspacing and 0 offset (with BFG KO2 265/70r17 tires). I assume that will work out just fine? I am not 100% of everything I need to consider which is why I'm turning to you guys for advice.

I've read that those wheels are fairly heavy but the price for lighter ones is out of the budget right now. Is that an issue I should look more into?

Thanks again.
Here's a couple quick photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'd go for 17's. I have 18's with 285/75 Trail Graps. More options in larger tire sizes with 17's and way more wheel options. If you will stick to 33" tires under 12" wide 16's would be better off road.

edit: Didn't see this thread was two weeks old.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Reviving and old one.
Looking at going 17"s to have more options for C rated 33"s. For 16" wheels everything is E with the exception of a Maxxis tire I believe. Right now I have a co worker with a new JL that is selling his 33" KO2's for a fair price.
Ideas on where to begin looking for wheels and offset size?
I have a '14 Pro-4X w/OME suspension f&r that gave just under 2" lift measured from wheel well to ground. I assume I would still need to do the melt mod.
Thanks for any insight

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Ideas on where to begin looking for wheels and offset size?
Since I didn't notice it on this thread and you may not already know, the SE Xterras came with a 17" wheel from Nissan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a couple quick photos.
I really like the look of the KM301's! Do you have any pics straight on? Wondering how aggressive the stance is? I really like the deep dish look but not really a fan of a super-wide stance either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts