Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't even noticed it until yesterday, when a friend who drives a Gen 1 Xterra pointed it out . . . our speedometers go to 140MPH. I've driven a lot of miles over the years, but I'm pretty sure I can't drive that fast and shoot (a camera) at the same time. I'll stick with the more reasonable speeds.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I had a vehicle that showed 120, couldn't get it over 97 (give or take a couple mph). Speedometers just about always show over what the vehicle is limited to by drag/governer.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
First gens are limited to 99mph but 00-01 gauges went to 110mph, 02-04 120mph. I think ours are limited at 115mph

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I had my first gen ('01) up to 107 once.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Had the X up to 110-115 on a flat smooth road with no crosswind. Actually felt relatively stable.

·
on line
2,233 Posts
Governed to 112. Gauge goes to 140 for styling and marketing reasons. Get into a showroom and see 140 and the marketing physiologists will step in with the "look at the power to have a 140 MPH speedo". Also nice that a 70MPH cruise puts the needle straight up.

There is enough HP that without the governor set to the speed rating of the tires it probably could get pretty close to that number.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Had the X up to 110-115 on a flat smooth road with no crosswind. Actually felt relatively stable.
That is nuts. I would never even consider going that fast in an X... But I guess it isn't the speed that kills, it the sudden stop.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
First gens are limited to 99mph but 00-01 gauges went to 110mph, 02-04 120mph. I think ours are limited at 115mph
Unless you're running UpRev software! :cool:

·
on line
436 Posts
There are several videos out there of unrestricted 2nd gens hitting a GPS verified 140+. There used to be a thread floating around called "maxed out", not sure if it is still available? It will probably take a loooong time and a loooong straight to get there though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtILUEqsAio

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

Same here. It was actually pulling pretty hard until it hit the 118 mph rev limiter. I would imagine that it would do at least 130 with the right tires on it.

I was in the middle of nowhere CO racing a forest fire to get home and try to save our house/pets inside.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
4,593 Posts
Also nice that a 70MPH cruise puts the needle straight up.
^This. National maximum highway speed limit.
Many sedans used to read 110mph for the same reason.

·
on line
1,234 Posts
^This. National maximum highway speed limit.
Many sedans used to read 110mph for the same reason.
In AZ there are a number of highway segments (between phx and flagstaff, between phoenix and tucson) where the highway speed limit is 75, but I've never seen higher than that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The fastest I've gone in my X was 95 on the I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso in Texas. The speed limit is 80 for most of that stretch. I usually only go 5 over, but I kept getting passed up by other vehicles that I didn't notice I was going that fast. I got passed by an Xterra that was going at least 105.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts