Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just picked up a 2014 Pro-4X in Super Black as my 07 X was getting long in the tooth mileage wise. I’m pretty happy with as I was concerned with moving from a MT to an AT. My commute has migrated up to 4 hrs a day and have been surprised by driving an AT full time again. Also notice that the 2014, it much less noisy than my 07 OR. I didn’t particularly think my 05 was noisy, but comparatively, the 14 is much nicer drive.

One thing that does disappoint is the RF audio quality. Compared to my 05 RF, the 14 sounds like it’s being played out of a bucket, without much mid-range support. The various input channels all seem to be different as well, so what I can get to sound just OK from the FM or SAT channels sounds like garbage on AM. The old RF radio was much more consistent and had a much fuller sound. Anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
491 Posts
My '13 S had horrible tinny sound. I was all set to pull the trigger on a whole new system. I bought the amp first and the sound quality was night and day.

Your RF system has an amp but maybe there's amp level tuning you can do? It's under one of the seats I believe.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think mine sounds fine.

But I am old and usually listen to AM Talk or a flash drive full of MP3s that are mostly music from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I have the 2014 Pro-4X and I think the RF system is awesome for stock. The bass is very punchy to the point the door rattles on certain songs.

Maybe you just need to tweak it a little with the settings.

Are you listening to burned CDs? If so, that may be the reason for crappy sound.

I'm streaming my Itunes collection through BT and it sounds legit to me.

Maybe I'm not a raging audiohead like you but I'm quite happy with the RF system.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not bad

Sounds not bad in my case - from I-pod and cd, fm-channels. Satellite sound is little bit worst. Try to play with equalizer-it might help.

·
on line
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure it mostly a comparison issue. I've been listening to the stock RF in my 07 for so long I'm used it. I'm also a part-time professional musician so I'll admit to being a bit of an audio snob. I like being able to mix sound the way I want to hear and a little frustrated that I can’t get this similar. It’s all about what you get used to as well. The rub is in a month it will probably sound fantastic to me!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have a 2014 Pro and th RF sounds great you might want to check to see if someone was playing with the audo settings and set everything flat.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The RF in my '13 Pro 4X is the best audio system in any car I have owned. I am going deaf because of how well it sounds at high volumes! I love the punch of the sub under the drivers seat. Maybe you should have the dealer check it, you may have a bad amp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was impressed by the RF system in my 2012 that I bought used back in May 2014. But not being able to leave well enough alone, I replaced the dash tweeters with Infinity Reference 1031T's, the front door speakers with Infinity Reference 6032si and the rear door spekars with Infinity Reference 9632cf 6" x 9". These speakers sound fantastic and the wife even said it was a huge improvement over the stock speakers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Turn off SSV or whatever it's called. It cranks up the bass and treble in relation to your speed. I only use the auxiliary input but my 2011 P4X sounds best (to me in the driver's seat) using: bass -1, mid +1, and 0 for treble/balance/fade

1 - 14 of 14 Posts