Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I averaged 17.9 mpg on the trip, I hung out around 90mph most of the trip and under 3k rpms

·
on line
4,593 Posts
It's perfectly legal in Germany to take your hands from the wheel to take a picture of your dashboard while traveling in excess of 100 mph?

I do not know that.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what great about the Autobahn it is actually designed for spend with angled banks and all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I spent two years in the Black Forest region of Germany when I served in the military. I had a 1000cc sportbike at the time and have spent a ridiculous amount of time at some pretty serious speeds. Fastest I ever went was upwards of 180 mph. However most traffic is moving around 70-80 mph with only a few doing 130+.

While Autobahn's are cool, they aren't as much fun as most people think. There is typically a fair bit of traffic on much of it and these days there is an 85 mph blanket speed limit on most of it (although that is fairly universally ignored).

Even where you can go unlimited speeds, that gets fairly old pretty quickly. Autobahns are great for covering distances but they aren't all that much fun to drive. The German B-roads are another story. Excellent pavement and generally lots of corners.

I don't see why an Xterra couldn't exceed 100 mph. I have had my Dodge Dakota upwards of that speed with no issues. Any modern vehicle that becomes unstable at its top speed likely wouldn't pass the safety requirements and be allowed on the road. It would also be a lawsuit magnet.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
according to my speedo, I hit 110 not that long ago on the 5 south....

wasn't really all that sketchy....long straightaway....just paid attention to what was in front of me...

and, i didn't feel like i knew the rig until I pushed her that hard...she hasn't gone that fast since....

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd get pretty nervous taking any X over 85mph. Just not that kind of vehicle.
The manual says not to go over 87mph with my manual transmission.
IN 3rd GEAR !!!:headbang:
25 years ago I would go 90mph in my little 4cyl. 4Runner.
I'll bet the X is safe at 90 on a straight highway.:D
(No vehicle is perfectly safe doing an emergency maneuver at that speed though.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't see why an Xterra couldn't exceed 100 mph. I have had my Dodge Dakota upwards of that speed with no issues. Any modern vehicle that becomes unstable at its top speed likely wouldn't pass the safety requirements and be allowed on the road.
The vehicle I had just before I got my X was a Dakota Sport - completely different vehicle. It was like a sports car in comparison (road handling).

And X is a purpose built SUV that does not lend itself to high speeds as well as other vehicles and just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I can feel the difference in how the vehicle behaves compared to the Dakota, big time. I get nervous in the X above 85mph whereas the Dakota was like a race car.

And if you think they designed the X to be a +100mph vehicle you're also mistaken - be careful....especially adding in that most of us here have lifts and bigger off-road or at least AT wheels on them adding to their off-road ability whilst diminishing their on-road ability.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts