Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to upgrade the suspension on my X but I dont want much lift. Is there a good option for coilovers + rear spring update/upgrade (my rear leafs are very weak but not flat) that will get me about 1 inch lift at most? (also I plan to get a shrock bumper so the front needs to be able to handle that).

The only thing I've found that is close is the OME kit that has all the bits I'd need but it appears to be a 1.5" lift.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Best option you have without going OME is shackle and spacer. Any particular reason you want to cap it at 1"? I have an OME kit and the difference is not very drastic (some days I'd have to park next to another X to tell I was lifted at all).

Shackle and spacer, however, won't really upgrade your suspension because you still have the same springs and shocks. You'll be sitting higher and that's all. For a true upgrade, you'll want better shocks at the least. You could also look into air bags for the rear, and Sumo Springs up front along with your lift if you're not too concerned about offroad capability. You might also look into a Roadmaster active suspension kit, which can impart some slight lift.

·
on line
465 Posts
The light/medium duty OME kit will most likely settle down to about 1 inch of lift over stock after a year or two. (mine did after about 18 months and 15K miles). I am still very happy with it. FYI

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm mostly concerned about my garage (apt garage). There is very little room between the top of my X and the garage opener. I may go the OME route and hope for the best. So far I have no luck finding upgrades that dont add lift :)).

I really need to swap out my front springs (they feel squishy) and my rears bottom out a lot so a full upgrade is best rather than things like shackles etc.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The light/medium duty OME kit will most likely settle down to about 1 inch of lift over stock after a year or two. (mine did after about 18 months and 15K miles). I am still very happy with it. FYI
Will that one handle the extra weight of a shrock bumper? I was assuming I'd need the heavy for that.

·
on line
465 Posts
Will that one handle the extra weight of a shrock bumper? I was assuming I'd need the heavy for that.
ARB/OME suggests the LD coil springs for 0 to 90 pounds over stock, and the HD front coils for 90+. However, according to ARB/OME the LD and HD springs have same spring rate, the HD coil springs are just little longer (more preload to compensate for the weight of the bumper). Or so they told me at least. :icon_smile:

So if you want a stiffer spring, but don't want much lift, the LD might be the ticket. Try giving the ARB USA tech folks up in Washington a call.

·
on line
2,868 Posts
I have full shrock skids and sliders, and maxterra rear bumper (no tire carrier), and OME light/medium kit - 1 year, 4k miles, and a trip to moab on it since I installed the lift (at 54,000 miles). With stock size tires, my wheel arches are about 3/4" higher than the numbers listed in the factory service manual.

Prob be tough to see the full 1.5" lift if you are carrying any type of armor at all.
+1 vote for the OME lift, love mine (the rear spring problem is gone).

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd like to upgrade the suspension on my X but I dont want much lift. Is there a good option for coilovers + rear spring update/upgrade (my rear leafs are very weak but not flat) that will get me about 1 inch lift at most? (also I plan to get a shrock bumper so the front needs to be able to handle that).

The only thing I've found that is close is the OME kit that has all the bits I'd need but it appears to be a 1.5" lift.
As said before, for the rear a set of adjustable shackles.

For the front, a set of Radflo 2.0s with the 650lb springs from PRG (assuming the schrock bumper). They come pre-adjusted at 2" lift, but you can then adjust them back down 1". This will actually make them ride even better, and you have an adjustable coilover to fine tune your ride height should the need arise in the future (settling, more accessories, etc).

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
430 Posts
No, most kits are the opposite. Take what you get from the rear, then fine tune the front to match. Which is why in your case an adjustable shackle only is probably the best option. If your rear springs are an issue you could just replace them with a new set of factory OEM.

The other question is are you really adamant about 1" only? The difference between that and 1.5" or 2" is barely noticeable. IMO one doesn't really see a difference on these trucks untill you start getting over 2". Also, there seems to be about 1" random variablity in suspension heights on Xterras straight from the factory anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,952 Posts
i went with the OEM length radflo's, OME rear leaf springs, and bilstein 0-2" rear shocks from Nisstec and could not be happier.

with new 265/75/16's i'm at 35.5 at the front fender and 36 or 36.5 at the rear fender iirc.

overall it sits about 1 inch higher than most pro4x's do from the factory

1 - 12 of 12 Posts