Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jen.

Just wanted to see if you could make some contact with the guys over there at TC in regards to check to see if they can make a diff drop kit. The reason I'm asking is that Greg ran your UCA in conjunction with the Automotive Customizer's lift kit which they now include as part of their lift kits along with the 2" spacer. After installing his UCA it ended up placing the CV's at an extreme angle and from my guess lead to the demise of his front diff. Not sure if that's the exact reason of it yet but would like to see if there is any way to get a diff drop to get the CV's back into or as close to factory specs as possible.

Here's a pic of the CV's with the AC coil installed.

Here's a pic of the CV's with the AC kit and TC UCA with 2" spacer installed.

I'm not sure if the same result with just running the TC UCA in conjunction without the spacer. I know that it would be even more extreme if you ran the 3" spacer and the AC lift kit.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Is he also running spacers?

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah he's running the 2" spacers.

·
on line
496 Posts
That's why I haven't even wngaged 4wd since the lift. When I relocated the LCA mounts it relieved the cv angle issue but I'm still waiting on the 1" longer cv shafts before I engage 4wd again. I to would still be interested in a drop kit for the front diff. If I had time and the tools after this weekend I'd try to figure it out but alas I start leave Wed and ship the truck in 2 weeks.

added: Real sorry to hear about the front end Greg. Hope all turns out well in the end. You don't think your truck is Christine and is trying to punish you for the Jeep talk? :geek: I hope not. Any word on fixing it on warranty or areyou screwed there? If you need to get the parts yourself try this place.CARPARTFIND AUTO ACCESSORIES
717- 214- 4566. This is where I got my cv assembly from for 175. I know they have atleast a Frontier because that's where mine came from.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
This is my old X, I'm showing the pics to show the LCA angle.
I had the t-bars cracked all the way up! Never had a problem
with CV's.
Understandable, the T-bar crank averages about 2-1/2" of lift which the CV's can handle. The problem on the X's is that once you go beyond that 2-1/2 to 3" mark it puts them at such an angle that it pretty much spells disaster for the diff. and other front end components; also stacking lift springs and spacers also makes it so it can't be properly aligned.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am pretty sure the CV angles would not cause the diff to blow unless they are binding REALLY bad. I can see blowing a CV joint though. I think a Diff drop would be a great idea any way and from what I can tell, wouldn't be all that much of a problem. The only thing I can see is maybe front drive shaft problems as it's so short.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
I am pretty sure the CV angles would not cause the diff to blow unless they are binding REALLY bad. I can see blowing a CV joint though.
Oops, forgot that had been discussed in prior thread. There are definitely other front driveline problems that become apparent with too much lift.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kinda sucks not being able to find out the exact reasons that these things are going out like they are. Granted by doing a diff drop it will help with the pinion angles on the driveshaft and what not but there is something that is causing them to bind up enough to get the diff to blow out.

That's one of the biggest downfalls that I dreaded when the next gens came out is that they don't have hubs. The hubs were the weakest link and a big time lifesaver on the first gens but since we don't have them the next part in the chain is our halfshafts. These can fail because of shock loading and binding. If you bind them then you are going to blow something in the diff.

·
on line
2,070 Posts
Don't get me wrong, i would run the diff drop if it was out.
I'm just wondering if you could run it w/o the drop.
Hopefully not having any problems happen till the kit comes
out. I need alittle extra room would be nice for the 34's.
I have NO down travel right now. The shocks are maxed out with
the a/c coils
________
Buy No2 Vaporizer

·
on line
2,938 Posts
paulhood said:
I thouht AC (4x4parts.com) said that you can't put spacers in conjuction with their coil spring lift. This is probably way.
You can, but I wouldn't. It was screw up the front CV angles.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I'll correct that statement...

It will screw up your CV angles (half shafts)...not the drive shaft.

I know he was thinking, but it's not what he said. ;)

·
on line
2,938 Posts
muzikman said:
I'll correct that statement...

It will screw up your CV angles (half shafts)...not the drive shaft.

I know he was thinking, but it's not what he said. ;)
My bad! My head is all f'd up with a sinus infection!

·
on line
122 Posts
Just was cruising through the PRG threads and noticed this one. Did anything ever come of this? I know you can get one from calmini 5" lift, and now the fabtech 6" lift, but is just the drop kit available? I guess you could just call calmini and get the individual part, and not the entire kit?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Nope... Sorry this will not happen!

And I dont think that calmini sells just the diff drop brackets... if they did, you would still need to get new spindles, and extended brake lines.

·
on line
122 Posts
I was thinking you could possibly get the parts needed from calmini. I was thinking of telling them something along the lines of I got into an accident and need to only replace a few parts from my kit....

What do you think?

·
on line
3,262 Posts
azterra said:
I was thinking you could possibly get the parts needed from calmini. I was thinking of telling them something along the lines of I got into an accident and need to only replace a few parts from my kit....

What do you think?
Could be worth a try but I have heard that people have had trouble in the past trying to get broken/destroyed parts from calmini.... if I remember correctly, it was really difficult for them. That is just what i have heard so dont quote me on it.

willgr1 said:
can't you buy just the drop diff components from the fabtech kit? i though summit (or some place like that) sold the boxes of components separately.
This sounds more like what you should do!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts