Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a roadmaster tow adapter in the front of my x which I'll use to tow it behind my motorhome. Basically it is just two 1-1/4" receiver brackets bolted to the frame and front bumper core.

I'd like to hang two d-rings in them like this 2" receiver with D-ring...

I've searched, but can't find one that will fit a 1-1/4" receiver.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find something like that?

Thanks,
Rob

·
on line
266 Posts
should be fairly easy to fab up..

find some pieces of 1-1/4" tubing and drill 2 holes in it and bolt a shackle to one end

·
TNX Administrator
20,248 Posts

·
on line
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I searched all over for one of those...thanks shipmate!

Rob

·
on line
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bmaloney said:
how much weight can those handle?
Good question. The tow adapters are made to be able to tow the vehicle, so the limiting factor, I'm guessing, would be the strength of a single mount. Not the receiver bracket, or the shackle. Each tow bracket is bolted to the frame with two bolts, and bolted to the bumper core mount, and bolted to the bumper core.

I was debating whether I'd ever use it as a recovery point, I just wanted something to mount on/in them that would look better than the open bracket.

Rob

·
on line
358 Posts
They are made to tow the vehicle and aparently are strong enough to do so. To tow the vehicle both are used and I'm sure the combined strength of both is what allows this. A single one may not be strong enough to use as a recovery point. With that said most factory and aftermarket tow hooks/recovery points are bolted on with two bolts. What size bolts are used with this mount and tow hooks?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i would like to actually see a tow rating on these...they give me an idea i'd like to try....just because they can tow the vehicle doesn't mean they may work well for recovery...the resistance from being stuck in the mud could add a significant amount of weight and thus breach the threshold for their capacity...i'd hate to see those two things come flying off the front of an X with 7-8000 lbs. of pressure behind them....

·
on line
631 Posts
well, i was at pepboys earlier and saw a "stinger" (aka reciever) with no ball on it that was 1 1/4". i had the idea of doing this too. get a 3/4" shackle (it fits into where the ball is supposed to go) and insert into the hitch/mount. it fits with no problems. i saw a bronco 2 with a similar setup and thats where i got the idea. i dunno how well it works.... or if would work at all

·
TNX Administrator
20,248 Posts
bmaloney said:
Class 1 (Class I) hitch
Trailer hitch with capacity of up to 2,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 200 lbs tongue weight.

Class 2 (Class II) hitch
Trailer hitch with weight-carrying rating of up to 3,500 lbs gross trailer weight and 300/350 lbs tongue weight.

Class 3 (Class III) hitch
Trailer hitch with weight carrying rating of up to 5,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 500 lbs tongue weight. Also sometimes used to refer to a hitch with any 2" receiver, regardless of rating.

Class 4 (Class IV) hitch
Trailer hitch with weight carrying rating of up to 10,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 1,000 - 1,200 lbs tongue weight. Although many times any hitch with a capacity greater than 5,000 lbs gross weight is referred to as a Class 4.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/receiver-hitches.htm

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Old Navy said:
bmaloney said:
Class 1 (Class I) hitch
Trailer hitch with capacity of up to 2,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 200 lbs tongue weight.

Class 2 (Class II) hitch
Trailer hitch with weight-carrying rating of up to 3,500 lbs gross trailer weight and 300/350 lbs tongue weight.

Trailer hitch with weight carrying rating of up to 5,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 500 lbs tongue weight. Also sometimes used to refer to a hitch with any 2" receiver, regardless of rating.

Class 4 (Class IV) hitch
Trailer hitch with weight carrying rating of up to 10,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 1,000 - 1,200 lbs tongue weight. Although many times any hitch with a capacity greater than 5,000 lbs gross weight is referred to as a Class 4.
Thats for a straight on pull though, right?

·
TNX Administrator
20,248 Posts
norshor said:
Old Navy said:
bmaloney said:
Class 1 (Class I) hitch

Class 2 (Class II) hitch

Class 4 (Class IV) hitch
Thats for a straight on pull though, right?
Yes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts