Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this happen 3 times now. I go to start the X warm or cold and it just cranks and won't start. I can usually try about three times and then it will fire right up. It has about 1500 miles so far. I have seen a couple of posts on the problem at others sites but no good answers.

Thanks for the help

·
on line
294 Posts
pop the hood and look at the battery terminals. might be corroded causing bad connection. that can be cleaned/treated easily. otherwise bad battery/alternator. at least try to diagnose yourself before making a trip to the dealer.

good luck.

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery and terminals are fine. The engine spins over it just won't fire up. Its like its not getting fuel or my suspicion is the security code thing on the key is stopping it from starting.

·
on line
20 Posts
The engine will crank and will not start? Very weird. Definetely a dealer issue. Have you had any work, or you have done any work, to the truck? Any work below the dash? Loose connector? I'm just brainstorming at this point without knowing any details?

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havn't done any work on the truck yet besides putting on side moldings. I did call the dealer and they said they have never heard of this. surprise surprise. I will have them look at it at the first oil change. Just wndered if anybody else had already experienced this.

·
on line
10 Posts
Did the dealer find anything?

What did the dealer end up finding out? I'm having the same problem, so I called my dealer asking about my key chip not registering. They said that wouldn't be the problem bc it wouldn't start at all if that was the issue. He said it may be the fuel pump/sending unit. I'm hoping not bc that'll be around $450 to fix. I only have one key, so I don't know if getting another one and then getting them both reset to a new code will help.
Thanks,
Adam

·
on line
10 Posts
Did the dealer find anything?

What did the dealer end up finding out? I'm having the same problem, so I called my dealer asking about my key chip not registering. They said that wouldn't be the problem bc it wouldn't start at all if that was the issue. He said it may be the fuel pump/sending unit. I'm hoping not bc that'll be around $450 to fix. I only have one key, so I don't know if getting another one and then getting them both reset to a new code will help.
Thanks,
Adam

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up being the fuel sending unit. These have seem to be quite a few go bad. Most of them just cause inaccurate gas gauge, others throw trouble codes that show up as a "Check Engine Light". Wouldn't shock me that it could also cause the pump to quit, well, pumping as it's all one unit in the gas tank.

I assume you are over the warranty period? I know it's not covered under the 60K mile driveline warranty.

·
on line
527 Posts
My SEL comes on when gauge gets to about 1/4 tank. I pulled the code and its a sending unit. I have 48k miles on my X so the warranty wont cover it so when i get a chance and get more money i will replacing the sending unit. i will do a how to when i do. Anyone know where i can get a sending unit other than the dealer. I looked on nissan of turnersville and could not find a listing for it.

·
on line
527 Posts
$151 thats not bad, a lot lower than what I thought it would be. Ill be buying one shortly and I will be doing a how to. I just keep resetting my SES light cause its annoying. I knew I bouht that scangage2 for a reason

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I know it's $500 to replace from the dealer. So you figure they charge you MSRP on the part (which was what, $210). Plus the fact that it's inside the tank, so the tank has to be emptied and lowered. Then the sending unit replaces, tank reinstalled and then filled up. I don't know what the time it would take to do, but my guess at least 3 hours. At $100 / hour, you are looking at $500 in just the initial parts and labor. I guess what I am getting at, I bet the majority of the cost from the dealer to do it is labor.

·
on line
527 Posts
Yea ive replaced plenty of fuel pumps. In my old S10 it was easier to take the bed off to get at the top of the tank. I have access to a lift so i will do it there and just lower the tank with a screw jack. Ill take plenty of pictures.

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm taking it in next week and will post what they find out. I have found that if I just turn the key very quickly it will do this but if i turn it to the position just before crank for a few seconds its ok. Frustrating either way. I will let everybody know.

Thansks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts