Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear susp is bottoming out with about 200 lbs load and going over moderate speed bumps! Is this normal? what's the cheap fix? if any. Thanks.

I will be taking this truck across country next spring with about 600-800 Lbs of weight evenly distributed throughout the truck (roof rack, hitch hauler and cargo area)

·
on line
15,651 Posts
This is normal. The best fix that people have come up with are to use Timbern (sp?) bump stops. It's not cheap though at $150 or so.

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Muzikman said:
This is normal. The best fix that people have come up with are to use Timbern (sp?) bump stops. It's not cheap though at $150 or so.
Geesh 150? this dosent seem right for a new truck and only 200 lbs sitting over the axle!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, and in the 4 years that this model has been out, they have not touched the problem.

If you do a search, you'll find a lot of people complaining about it. Rear springs are just too soft.

·
on line
807 Posts
I know certain Chevy trucks have real nice bumpstops (very similar to the timbren material) I think it is the newer HD trucks, although I'm not sure. I know a couple guys on clubfrontier are using their front stops trimmed down a bit, maybe you could make the rear stops work also.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
is it 150 for the pair? if you look up timbren in the how to's and find a post by usmc you will see that someone else found a cheaper alternative. i forget what the final word was on them but they were under 50 bucks if i am not mistaken.

·
on line
500 Posts
Muzikman said:
Total cost isn't too bad if you take into concideration the instalation costs for AALs, and better bump stops.

The ease of installation (and removal) and a life time warrenty make Timbrens a good value.

Patrick

·
on line
735 Posts
I have a trimmed down custom timbren solution myself. A couple people also removed the mid-leaf snubber pad that is midway along the length of the front half of each leaf-they said it worked.

·
on line
610 Posts
I installed the Timbrens about a month ago, it fixed the problem. The installation was extremely easy, took me maybe 15 minutes, just crawl under the truck, take the old ones out (2 bolts)and put the new ones in with the same bolts. I spent about $25,000. for the truck, another $170 didnt put me in the poor house.

·
on line
564 Posts
Just pop the stock bump stops off and saw off about an inch. Voila..a lot less bottoming...and an extra inch of articulation!

Rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts