Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intermittent starting problem.

Turn the key, dash lights, fans/AC, radio all respond. Does not start. Just silence. Seems to be clutch related. Pushing in and releasing the clutch numerous times seems to help as it has always eventually turned over. New battery same problem. Seems more likely to happen in transitional weather (humidity change) but is still random.

2006 manual with decent amount dusty road travel.

Any guesses?

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Check the clutch interlock switch off of the pedal ... there's a plastic or rubber insert that has been known to fail (it's supposed to engage a momentary switch so that the truck knows the clutch is depressed and it's okay to turn over the motor).

... there's a thread somewhere with pictures, I'll see if I can find it for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem found

So I checked out the interlock switch. Sure enough I found bits and pieces of that rubber insert.

Thanks ski bum 315 for the help.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Here's one: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35936&highlight=clutch+interlock+switch

... and another: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54932&highlight=clutch+interlock+switch

... well, I can't seem to find the exact thread I was looking for; but I'm sure some more creative searching could track it down. If there's still no joy, I can take some pictures and post them for you (I've got an MT as well).

Another possibility is the IPDM relay issue ... another place I don't have a direct pointer for you, but there's a relay in the IPDM that has been known to go bad ... testing is easily accomplished by swapping the known problem child (need to do some research to identify which one typically fails) with a known good relay.

Hope one of those gets it for you!

·
on line
10,980 Posts
haha ... all this time I was searching and reading, it was an easy fix! Glad it worked out. :eek:ccasion5:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts