Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - I'm in Steamboat Springs, CO. I'm new to Xterras but have been shopping for one for a while now, and have my sites on a couple.

One option is to buy an '06 SE that is currently sitting with a bad trans (SMOD). It has 110,000 miles on it and appears to be in near perfect shape other than trans. One owner, maintenance records etc. Unfortunately it has been sitting parked for a year with the SMOD in the trans.

I'm looking for help with a few questions, none of which I could find through 2 days of searching the forums (maybe I'm not searching correctly....). Any help with the following would be appreciated:

1) Should I do a manual conversion?? As far as preference I would probably prefer manual, but wouldn't incur extra cost or effort to have it. I'm wondering if it might be cheaper to do the manual conversion than it would be to get a quality reman'd auto in there?

2) If i go manual - anybody with experience doing the conversion on a 2nd gen? What is my best bet for finding the parts? I'm mechanically inclined but have never gone junk yard hunting etc. I'm a little leary about buying used parts and don't really know how to shop for them.

3) If I keep it auto - where should I look for a replacement trans? It seems to me that I would be better off spending $2500-$3,000 on a nice reman'd auto than paying the same to have someone rebuild the SMOD trans, right?? Same as #2, I'm a little leary about buying a used trans because I don't know what to look for or who to trust. I'm also not really equipped to go pull one out of a junkyard. At least I don't think I am....

4) If I'm buying a replacement trans - can I just buy a reman tans from JC Whitney/Certified Trans/etc. etc. and bolt it right in? It looks like they come with a reman torque converter but will I need to buy anything else? Does the new one plug right in?

5) I think it best to replace the radiator as well. Thoughts? Probably put an aftermarket unit in after doing the cooling line bypass?

6) Will also be putting a locker in the rear, but can dig up info on this through the search.

Thanks!

·
Registered
577 Posts
How much are they asking for that x with smod? I wouldn't pay more than 4-5k. Have they kept the engine running this past year. It might be a can of worms, but maybe not. Imho, look elsewhere. Welcome to the forum.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I'm with hek, to some extent (the engineer/mechanical part of me would love for a project like this to come to fruition and have a happy, uneventful ending ... so that's why I say "to some extent") ... if you can do the whole thing for less than a good-condition used, you'd obviously come out ahead; and that could make it worth while (depending on the value of your time and effort to complete the project).

As far as the manual swap ... again, I'd love to see it happen and be painless ... I'm concerned that it wouldn't be. The Xterra has a hydraulic clutch, and the clutch and brake masters share a fluid reservoir, I'm not sure if the AT brake master can be adapted to use with the MT clutch ... but it could be as simple as just sourcing an MT compatible brake master & reservoir, along with the clutch lines. I also don't know what you'd have to do to swap the truck's CAN/computer system from AT to MT ... it's probably as simple as a few minutes with the computers plugged into a Nissan Consult (the OEM diagnostic computer system) box, and someone who knows what they're doing ... but I start thinking about all of that - to say nothing of the unknown-unknowns, and get concerned (like hek) that you'd be opening a can of worms.

But, again, if they're only discounting it $2-3k from the equivalent good-condition price, I'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great feedback guys. I'm assuming I need to get it for ~$5,000 below alternative options to make it worth my effort.

I hear ya, and am writing off the manual conversion, so let's stick with auto -

Where should I be looking for a replacement trans?

Do you agree that a new/reman installed by me is better than a rebuild of the current trans (assuming my time is free and total cost between the two is equal or maybe a little cheaper to install my own reman)?

Anything else I would need to buy to install the reman?

·
Registered
577 Posts
A reman'd trans very well could've been a smod victim. If you could remove and replace the trans I would go with who(reman or shop rebuild) has a better rep and warranty. If you end up going with a shop, and can r&r it on your own with a buddy and a truck to transport the trans, you could probably save some bucks.

Oh, and buy some s matic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts