Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

06 OR MT HELP!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kokopop 
#1 ·
I posted http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1493 and got a lot of great feedback but no fixie fixie. I was wondering if anyone with an 06 OR MT could duplicate the noise I have to verify that noise is "normal operation" like the dealer said. Basically you engage 4 lo and in 1st gear, let off the clutch and then depress the clutch in a rapid motion as if you were trying to pop a tire up on an object but you can't roll over the other side. I hope that makes sense. Anyways, the noise I hear is a violent klakking like somewhat resembling a broken cv joint. The dealer claims it is just normal play in the transfer case to driveline connection!

#3 ·
:clown: --I can speak pidgen english/UBONICS and Swahelee, but I have no idea what you said!!!

--I just "surmise" that you aren't following the correct procedure to engage 4lo per INSTRUCTION MANUAL PG 5-21 --

--Anyway mine is quiet as a mouse '06/OR/MT--stock tires--

-- :drunken: :drunken: --JIMBO

#4 ·
As I replied in the first thread. every 4x4 manual trans vehicle I have owned has done such. It is driveline slop in the trans and transfer case.
Part of the sound is the wheels trying to "over speed" the T-case, which will not allow it. so your wheels are in effect causing the output from the T-case to argue with all the internals to the input side. The internals are not made to some .000001" tolerance. Partly it gives a very minimal play between the axles. I'd bet that if you placed your X in 4-lo and turned the front wheels all the way to the stop, and ideled around a small circle youd probably hear it... if not, give it a little gass, and let back off the gass...

AT's can do it as well, but the transmission absorbes a bit more of the slop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.