Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I've had this problem for about a month now. Every couple days, when I go to start the X, it takes 3 or 4 tries to start the car. The starter and everything else seems fine. I thought it may be that the chip in the key wasn't being recognized by the car, so I'd take the key out, wave it in front of the steering column, then re-try. Sometimes it starts, sometimes I have to do it again. Eventually, the car will always start and it runs fine. I called the dealer and asked the service guy what might be going on. He told me it couldn't be the key bc once the key isn't recognized, the car goes into lockout mode and can't be started for a while. Not sure if that's true though. He did say it most likely is the fuel pump/sending unit, which would be around $450 to replace at the dealer. I was thinking about getting another key (since I only have one chipped key) and having it programmed to see if that would remedy my problem. I'd rather spend that $70 elsewhere if it isn't a key issue. Do you guys have any ideas or have you had any similar issues? It's only got about 43k miles on it, so it seems a little early for a fuel pump to go out.
Thanks,
Adam

·
on line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that too, but I replaced the battery about 6 months ago, so I doubt that is the cause. I'll have it checked just in case. May be a defective battery.

·
on line
90 Posts
I doubt it is the battery. I have the same problem with mine occasionally. I can jump in and try to crank it, and the engine turns but won't fire. I notice it happens when I turn the key through the switches quickly (all in one motion). If I slowly turn the key, pausing at each position - On, ACC, Start - then the engine fires right up first try.

I can't tell if the problem is in the switch, or the fuel sending unit. When I cycle through the ignition positions slowly, I can hear the fuel pump or sending unit cycle on...when I hear that humm, I know it will crank on that try.

I've taken it to the dealer, but haven't been able to replicate the problem while it is there. Also, my spare key was never programmed to crank the truck. I had no idea until just recently - almost two years after buying it - when my wife couldn't move my truck to get her car out of the garage. Neat story behind how I bought my X, but I hate to jack the thread.

·
on line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that sounds like mine. Now that I think about it, it does seem that the slower I turn the key, the more likely it is to start. I haven't had the problem happen for about 5 days now. Hmmm, makes me think it may be something in the key ignition switch. Maybe something isn't making contact in the start position. I bought my car used and got an extra key as well. I tried to use it once, but it would just crank the engine and not allow it to start completely. It doesn't have a chrome Nissan logo on it like my other one, so maybe it's the valet key. But what's the use of a valet key that won't start the car, except to just allow entry to the vehicle or to be used as a master key for blanks. It's about $70 for a new key and the chip programming fee. Who knows... maybe it would help.
Adam

·
on line
149 Posts
mine did exactly that, and now it won't start at all. it's at the shop right now, i'll let you know. but i'm pretty sure i can't hear the fuel pump humming anymore.

i was just driving and the damn thing shut off and would never refire. hmmmmm.

·
on line
2,570 Posts
Manual or auto? If it's manual, it could be the clutch switch... If it's auto, it could be the ignition switch.

·
on line
192 Posts
When you turn the key slowly, it is allowing the fuel pump to run a bit longer before the engine is trying to start. But when you go quickly it is not allowing the pump to prime as much. I doubt it has anything to do with the key itself.

Maybe a faulty fuel pump, or FPR. Just my thoughts.

·
on line
458 Posts
Mine will keep cranking and cranking . One time it kept cranking to the point of almost killing the battery. I let it sit in the off position for a few minutes and then it fired.

·
on line
394 Posts
I called the dealer and asked the service guy what might be going on. He told me it couldn't be the key bc once the key isn't recognized, the car goes into lockout mode and can't be started for a while.
That is BS! Sometimes the car will go into lockout mode, but not always. I had a customer with a 350Z that had the same problem, sometimes would start, sometimes wouldn't. He had a NATS (Nissan Anti Theft System) malfunction code stored. Reprogrammed the key and worked fine for about a day. Came back in with the same malfunction code.
We replaced the key and it has been fine since.
Not saying that this is definitely your problem, but it may be better to have that checked first before paying for a fuel pump or something.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Turn the lights on for a min. Then try again. Sometimes you need the chemical reaction to start in the battery. I just had this problem, did that trick and it worked. Then I went out and got a diehard gold battery new from sears. Starts right up. I was due for a new battery anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts