20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Another storm hit us tonight;

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
"So what's your job?"
"I punch lightning."
Haha. Bonneville Power Administration. Lightning strikes are one of the biggest causes of service interruptions. There is a ton of engineering that goes into preventing and or clearing faults from lightning strikes.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
6,543 Posts
UFOs.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
That is crazy awesome to look at! But I would bet it played h#ll with the local utilities.
Almost 48 hours after the storm and several thousand still do not have power.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hurricane Cat 1 What????

Not what you call and hurricane ,but maybe a fast moving Tropical Storm. You guys in NM would not wish a Hurricane Charlie/Opel and even the by gone Hurricane Andrew Cat 5.
Even what they call a Monsoon here AZ, these storms are to be taken seriously as well.
Being a storm chaser in with the Florida Guard(FLARNG) you got know when its time to un a-- the area. Mother Nature can really get your attention.

At least you did not have the storm surge, During Hurricane George(cat 1) the keys got hit 12 hours of wind and rain and the sand was 4-5ft layered sand on US 1 in Monroe County.(Key West) .:drink:

Its weather I should be grateful than other than Clear Blue Skies with a .0000001 chance of rain.:drink:

Good Pictures those are worthy of a storm chaser!!!!:drink:

·
TNX Administrator
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdNT3YULaOc

Well being that this is a desert, we'er not use to this type of weather. Today all power was restored with help from repair crews from Farmington NM, El Paso TX, Tempe & Tucson AZ. All this was caused by a storm with winds in excess of 90 mph, a LOT of Rain, Thunder and Lightning, which caused over 1 Million Dollars in damage to our city.

The reason they are calling it a Category Hurricane 1 is because of the wind speed and the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale of 1 to 5 Rating is based on a hurricane's sustained wind speed.

Category 1
Sustained WindsTypes of Damage Due to Hurricane Winds

74-95 mph
64-82 kt
119-153 km/h

Very dangerous winds will produce some damage: Well-constructed frame homes could have damage to roof, shingles, vinyl siding and gutters. Large branches of trees will snap and shallowly rooted trees may be toppled. Extensive damage to power lines and poles likely will result in power outages that could last a few to several days.

And all of this ^ occurred when this system hit Albuquerque.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
ABQ may not get storm surge but it does get runoff from the 5000' of mountain above the eastern edge of the city (city is at ~5000', mountain peak is above 10,000').

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I grew up in the SE so it's amazing to me what a couple inches of rain does out here. Especially in the burn scar areas. Luckily, even though I live right next to a huge burn scar, I'm not effected much by it.

I can't imagine what would happen if we got the rain here that GA gets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
6,543 Posts
Part of that would depend on how quickly it came down. I'm betting that a slow, soaking rain would be very welcome there. As I recall, you guys are in the middle of a multi-year drought.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Yeah, most of the SW is in a drought. Even light rains cause flooding here if it rains for several hrs because the ground just doesn't absorb much. In the burn areas it's multiplied because it all just runs off and nothing is absorbed. I've seen heavy rains here before, it rained pretty hard on Monday, but nothing like torrential downpours from the tropical storms that come through the SE.

·
TNX Administrator
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All the rain we got on last Friday, hit us in a one hour period, along with the wind & lightning. This was a very fast moving & hard hitting storm! As far as the drought goes, well......

It's was the biggest lake in the state and now it's almost empty.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
It's crazy how low the reservoirs are here. We've been getting rain almost everyday but it would take years of it to bring things back to normal. When I ran mt baldy a few weeks ago I saw three reservoirs. Two were completely empty and the third is half full.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
I noticed that when I drove up Pike's Peak this May. Resevoirs that were clearly not visible. After my hike up, since I came up after hours, the ranger who drove me down was able to point out just where the water should be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts