Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Alcans?
Are these a brand of new leaf springs?
It's a shop in Grand Junction that will build custom leaf springs for you based on your intended use, the weight of your vehicle and cargo and the amount of lift you want to achieve. Your new rear spring options are Nissan OEM, General Springs regular duty (similar to Nissan OEM, but maybe a little stiffer), General Springs heavy duty, Old Man Emu and Alcan. I think that's all, but keep in mind that if you add lift you will also need to install taller shocks.

·
TNX Senior Member
537 Posts
Alcans are aftermarket leaf springs built to suit custom needs. They are made in Grand Junction Colorado. There are also Old Man Emu springs that are less then had the cost of alcans. I believe some people have found General springs for even less. Deaver is another brand but I’m not sure if they still make them for our trucks.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
When I got my '06 in 2014 it had around 90K miles and was still on the original leaf springs, but the previous owner had installed Timbrens. I had read about how weak the original leafs were on Xterras and yet I never really had any problems with them, so I couldn't figure out what everyone was on about. Turns out the Timbrens were the reason that I didn't experience the harsh bottoming out that everyone complained about.

I think the Timbrens are a solid choice and a great place to start. See how they work for you. Possibly that's all it needs right now, and it's cheaper and easier than springs. Even if you upgrade your leafs later, the aftermarket bump stops are still beneficial.

I did later upgrade the full suspension to Old Man Emu, and it was a big improvement, but it was also a lot more costly and more work than just changing out the bumpstops. IMO you made the right choice starting there. You can always go further with upgrades if you need them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here is a link to my rear end rebuild. General SD springs, Bilstein 4600 shocks, and Timbren JC01 bump stops. $900 and a couple days of labor.

It rides sooo much better now. My only comment is that when I do hit big bumps and compress the bumpstops I get a good amount of bounce, like a pogo stick kinda feeling.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts