Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Surf's 6-week Trans-Canada and Trans-America Trip (Completed 8/17/2011)

52K views 211 replies 80 participants last post by  Old Navy 
#1 · (Edited)
Our live data tracking page only shows movement of 50 pings at a time. I created a smoother easier to see tracking page that will keep track of our overall travel as one smooth line. Feel free to play follow along and experiment with the satellite and terrain views in some of the more interesting areas.

Here is the link:

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=268777

And here is the original link that will contain live by the minute data, but only show recent recent movement:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0hnfOSgx6pmpzLonbLbFhGFOIQXIIlhuj

~Jay and Abby

As some of you know, my GF and I will be taking a big 6 week trip in the X up into Canada, across Canada, then down a chunk of the east-coast in the U.S. (visiting lots of family on the east-coast) then back across the US. We leave one week from today on Friday July 8th. Im posting a map screen-shot below with the Trans-Canada and east-coast US part of our trip. I am still planing out our trip home across the US, but we plan on spending a few days in CO and we will hit Yellowstone and Glacier on our drive for sure as well. Details will be added as time progresses. I'm hoping to also get to meet up :eek:ccasion5: with some people from here during our travels and or get advice on great food or beer to get and info on the must see/do places.

This thread will be updated when possible during our travels when we hotel up ocassionally and have internet (most time we will be camping). I'm super excited to head out next Friday and start this exciting journey! Only 7 days until take-off!! :rockin:

~Jay

More info, news, updates to come...

Update 7-6-11:

I poped together the map below which is a really rough generalized idea of the areas we will be traveling on the return leg over a course of 17 or 18 days. The thumb tacks are not specific places we'll stay, just to help paint out the map. The return journey will be much less pre-planned than our Trans-Canada leg and east-coast leg. This part will be much more off-the-cuff and day-by-day as we have more time to travel at our own pace and can choose to stay two nights here, or skip there etc... We will make sure we are in the Boulder area though to meet up and trail run with the CO folks on Sat August 6th and will be spending several days/nights in and around CO. Google maps ran out of tacks to add for one big map, so here is the return leg on its own:

Update 8/19/2011:

Well, we are home now. The epic journey of a lifetime is done. I still cant believe how many amazing places we went, how many fun things we did, how many cool people we met, or how beautiful some places were. What a trip! I'll update on some final thoughts here and post a map of what was coverd within the next week, as right now its all about unpacking, cleaning, yardwork, catching up on all that was neglected (friends and family included) and also seeing potential wedding venues etc. We are two busy people! It almost feels weird to be home and staying in one place...

Some fun facts/numbers:

Total miles driven: 9,467
Total fuel consumed: 666 gallons
Avg. M.P.G.: 14.21
Avg. price of fuel in U.S. $/gal: $4.18/gal
Total fuel price in us dollars: $2,786.36
Total trip cost inc food, hotel nights, etc...: Too much lol... so I'll say "Priceless"
Total days: 41
Total number times we ate fast-food on the entire trip: 1 time
Accidents: 0
Break-downs: 0
Police stops: 0
Marriage propossals: 1
Canadian Provinces: 5
American States: 22
Animal encounters: Black Bear-9, Grizzly Bear-0, Bald Eagle-1, Moose-1 and tons of elk, buffalo, deer etc.
TheNewX.org meet and greets attended: 2
Random encounters with an existing TheNewX.org member: 1
Successful recruitments of an Xterra owner to join TheNewX.org: 1
Times I was "spotted" while driving 9,467 miles through 5 canadian provinces and 22 U.S. States: 0 :tard: :dontknow:

See less See more
#12 ·
Will do for sure!

(copy/paste from my earlier PM)
That would be great. I'll know more precise dates as things progress, but ballpark for being at CO will be between Fri Aug 5th and Tues Aug 9th. If a bunch of CO guys wanted to get togther I can try to shift things around to be in the area over that Sat 6th & Sun 7th. I'm really looking forward to spending a few days in CO and was already planing to check out some scenic 4x4 trails, so a meet/greet and trail run would be awesome!

~Jay

#7 ·
awesome dude, I thought I saw you pass thru the mucc today but didnt think you were going this way figured you were on the route you posted,

anyway someone passed thru winnemucca today i waved on my way to work.

#13 · (Edited)
This looks like a job for a SPOT tracker and a Delorme GPS :)

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=219

By the way I will be in Portland on Sunday the 3rd through Monday night.
leaving to go home to San Jose Ca on Tuesday morning.

overnighting in Medford on the way in and the way out.

#14 ·
Chris,

I will be using my Spot2 to track the whole trip! :) Will post link when I go. I wish I could grab another beer or a scotch with ya while you are in town, but I will be in Hood River from tommorrow until Tuesday night for a wedding and the GF's family reunion... :help:

#16 ·
I will be in Maryland around the middle of my trip (still have 2 weeks of return across the US thats not on that map). I will be visiting my sister in Elkton MD for a couple days and then rolling south to camp out in GWNF. Might be able to meet up for a lunch on my way through. That looks like it will be Wed July 27th. I am also hoping to catch a meet/greet day with Rook and some of the GPAX guys/girls. My time near the Gpax area: I will be staying near Corning, NY visiting Family Wed-Fri July 20-22 I will then drive to Stormville NY and stay a my aunts sat and sun July 23-24 followed by driving to Elkton, MD where I will be visiting my sister Mon-Wed July 25-27 then south to camp out in GWNF on the night of either the 27th or 28th then to Cheraw, SC to visit my father and I'll be there until Aug 1st when I then behind my 2 week return trip across the US.
Posted via Mobile Device

#24 ·
those dam rioters gave us a bad rep eh! lol.....j/k
well thats too bad you wont be passing through here, was looking forward to checking out your rig.....anywho, i wish you the best and a safe trip....ill keep an eye out, as I'm hoping to do the samething next year!!

#27 ·
Have fun on that trip! I did almost the same route you're taking through central Canada when I went from Maine to Alaska. Just be ready for some long desolate stretches through there. We were talking with a couple of locals one day when we stopped and they said that it's so flat there that a 5 gallon bucket of water could flood 50 miles of land. It's great for gas mileage though!