Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) (https://www.thenewx.org/forum/)
-   Powertrain & Driveline (https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-powertrain-driveline/)
-   -   Feels like Binding on Front Wheels at Full Lock in 4WD (https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-powertrain-driveline/271376-feels-like-binding-front-wheels-full-lock-4wd.html)

sarge21rvb 09-25-2018 11:47 AM

Feels like Binding on Front Wheels at Full Lock in 4WD
 
Hey all. I just got an 07 Off Road auto with 119k miles in really good condition and a full service history. My other car is a MINI Cooper S, so trucks/SUVs are a new thing to me. I've got a ton of questions, but I'll keep it focused, ha.

I noticed the other day when I'm in 4HI, if I turn the wheels to near full lock (like I'm doing a U turn) the truck stop moving at idle speeds and I have to give it gas to keep going. Is this normal? It almost feels like the front end is binding. I don't have the problem in 2WD. Thanks!

JOSX2 09-25-2018 12:35 PM

sounds like you're doing this on pavement?

don't.

you'll break stuff. LOL

to directly answer you're question....if it *is* on pavement, yes, that's normal.
but....you'll break something driving/steering in 4HI (and 4LO) on pavement. Only engage 4WD when on dirt, gravel, snow, etc.

Longboardr 09-25-2018 12:38 PM

Are you doing this on pavement? If so, yes, it is binding and no, you shouldn't be in 4wd in those conditions. The outside front wheel has to turn faster than the rear wheels and that's going to cause binding when the tire can't slip.

RikRong 09-25-2018 12:59 PM

I'll even get slight binding when I'm in 4WD on dirt, if I turn sharp enough. On pavement is a no-go, but you'll find out how good your front drivetrain will hold up to abuse. ;)

mtnbound 09-25-2018 02:49 PM

I came to the same realization when i first had my X, first 4x4 for me. it snowed one morning so i had it in 4hi on the way to work, after work i started divining home still in 4hi and noticed the binding( snow had melted). so yeah its normal, that means its actually working correctly.

lesson learned, only use 4x4 when there is weak or little traction otherwise there is too much grip.

alittle further context: the 4x4 system "locks" the front axle, so that the driver pass wheels are connected, when you turn sharply the radius on the inside is smaller than the outside and causes the two front wheel to turn at different rates which causes the binding. essentially the insde wheel is trying to trun more than the radius will allow so it kinda gets pushed.

hope that helps!

JOSX2 09-25-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbound (Post 4238786)
alittle further context: the 4x4 system "locks" the front axle, so that the driver pass wheels are connected, when you turn sharply the radius on the inside is smaller than the outside and causes the two front wheel to turn at different rates which causes the binding. essentially the insde wheel is trying to trun more than the radius will allow so it kinda gets pushed

no no good sir....you are quite wrong in that ;-) that's what a Locker does. not 4x4.

all the 4x4 system does is directs power to the front drive axle, which in turn rotates the front tires under power. all 4 tires are now spinning under power, all at the same speeds. When the turn is being made, and that front outside tire can't turn faster due to 4x4 being engaged...that's what causes the binding.

CThoreal 09-25-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOSX2 (Post 4238794)
no no good sir....you are quite wrong in that ;-) that's what a Locker does. not 4x4.

all the 4x4 system does is directs power to the front drive axle, which in turn rotates the front tires under power. all 4 tires are now spinning under power, all at the same speeds. When the turn is being made, and that front outside tire can't turn faster due to 4x4 being engaged...that's what causes the binding.

This is technically wrong as well. With open diffs (without a locker), the inner and outer wheels, on the same axle, can still rotate at different speeds. However the rear wheels will "cut under" and make a sharper radius than the front wheels. This forces all 4 wheels to try and rotate at 4 different speeds. Directly causing the front and rear axles to try and rotate at different speeds in relation to each other. This difference between the front and rear axle speeds is what causes the binding.

JOSX2 09-25-2018 04:03 PM

i gotcha. well damn....i've had the wrong train of thought all these years LOL. Learn something new every day ;-)

Well...i was sorta close at least LOL

Longboardr 09-25-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CThoreal (Post 4238798)
This is technically wrong as well. With open diffs (without a locker), the inner and outer wheels, on the same axle, can still rotate at different speeds. However the rear wheels will "cut under" and make a sharper radius than the front wheels. This forces all 4 wheels to try and rotate at 4 different speeds. Directly causing the front and rear axles to try and rotate at different speeds in relation to each other. This difference between the front and rear axle speeds is what causes the binding.

Isn't that what I said?


J/K, you did a better job of explaining it than I would have.

mtnbound 09-25-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOSX2 (Post 4238794)
no no good sir....you are quite wrong in that ;-) that's what a Locker does. not 4x4.

thats why i put "lock" in quotes. its not technically locked as a "locker" would per say, but for the conversation it makes sense. to me at least..


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2012, www.thenewx.org; www.thexterra.org
The Nissan names, logos and slogans are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd and is no way affiliated with this site.
All posts are the property of the posters and are not the responsibility of thenewx.org, it's affiliates, web hosts or associated companies.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome