Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) (https://www.thenewx.org/forum/)
-   General Xterra (https://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-general-xterra/)
-   -   Out of Control Xterra (https://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-general-xterra/245042-out-control-xterra.html)

SpoX 08-14-2017 02:45 PM

Out of Control Xterra

This is the first time I have seen an "Unintended Acceleration" on an Xterra.

Woman's SUV speeds out of control in Mercer Island - seattlepi.com

Whenever I hear about these things one thought pops into my mind: WHY DON'T THESE IDIOTS SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION TO NEUTRAL?"

mtaylor 08-14-2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

911 operators eventually advised her to turn off the SUV's ignition using the key.
It seems like common sense to me that this is what you try before calling 911. And shifting to neutral. It's kinda like that "try turning it off then on" approach.

Hell, when I was 16 about a month after I got my license I got the pedal stuck under the floor mat in my mom's volvo, (flooring it off a stop light as 16 year olds do) and I was smart enough to throw it in neutral and shut it off after about 15 seconds.

BarefootXterra 08-14-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoX (Post 3872090)
Whenever I hear about these things one thought pops into my mind: WHY DON'T THESE IDIOTS SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION TO NEUTRAL?"

Shock, surprise, unable to react or think clearly in an emergency, not knowing how a vehicle really works outside of the normal park, drive, reverse, lock, unlock, brake and steer.

Mtntrtl63X 08-14-2017 04:20 PM

Common sense is a dying trait in the human race. Hard to understand why emergency procedures aren't drilled nto new drivers.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

BostonX 08-14-2017 04:22 PM

Isn't shutting off the ignition a really bad idea? You lose power steering and brakes. Much better to shift to neutral, feather the ebrake to a stop, then hope you can kill your ignition before your motor blows.

mtaylor 08-14-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonX (Post 3872218)
Isn't shutting off the ignition a really bad idea? You lose power steering and brakes. Much better to shift to neutral, feather the ebrake to a stop, then hope you can kill your ignition before your motor blows.

I don't remember that being a concern at the time.

General_Tarfun 08-14-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoX (Post 3872090)
This is the first time I have seen an "Unintended Acceleration" on an Xterra.

Woman's SUV speeds out of control in Mercer Island - seattlepi.com

I always wonder the same thing. I had a Honda Prelude do that to me a long time ago and my first reaction was to grab the key, turn it off and brake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonX (Post 3872218)

You don't lose the brakes, you lose the power brakes so it's just harder to press them. The ebrake is direct cable in ours so no need for the truck to be running to use it.

LoneLeaf 08-14-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarefootXterra (Post 3872106)
...not knowing how a vehicle really works outside of the normal park, drive, reverse, lock, unlock, brake and steer.

This. Although you can cross out "reverse" in quite a few cases as well.

It's both sad and terrifying really.

BostonX 08-14-2017 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_Tarfun (Post 3872282)
I always wonder the same thing. I had a Honda Prelude do that to me a long time ago and my first reaction was to grab the key, turn it off and brake.

You don't lose the brakes, you lose the power brakes so it's just harder to press them. The ebrake is direct cable in ours so no need for the truck to be running to use it.

You should have enough pressure in the lines for one more power brake. And if you hold the button down on the ebrake instead of using the ratchet mechanism, you can keep from locking up.

murphy 08-14-2017 09:53 PM

It must have been a first gen X. The second gen's break signal overrides the throttle.