Shocked by low KBB Resale Values -- Does 6MT+4WD justify Asking above KBB? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Granite Xterra S

Shocked by low KBB Resale Values -- Does 6MT+4WD justify Asking above KBB?

Hi,
I bought my 2006 Xterra (6MT + 4WD) new off the lot back in 06. I believe S trim? I just remember I had to special order it to get the MT above a base model. It now has 151k miles, no rust, 30k on clutch, 15k on 2yo Michelin Defender LTX's, only mods are Timbren SES, hi-flow upstream cats, deleted downstream cats replaced with glasspacks , still using stock muffler. Factory running boards, flaps, luggage cover, and tow package. Paint is "Granite" I think. Nothing wrong with it at all, all oils and driveline fluids meticulously maintained by factory recommended intervals. I have a truck now, and I have been debating about selling the Xterra.

I am absolutely shocked by the abysmally low private party value estimate on KBB. It says $2,733 - $4,544, with "Very Good" for my options being $3,639. Now, if I re-run it with automatic, it goes up to $3,223 - $5,034 or $4,129 for "very good", which is stupid because there is no reason why an automatic would make a 2nd gen Xterra more valuable. NADA shows "clean retail" at $6,425 (or $6,575 if it were AT.) For those numbers, I'll stuff the thing in my basement and sit on it until armageddon.

Question is-- what is a realistic estimation of value for this vehicle? It is almost impossible to find a 2nd gen for sale anywhere with a 6MT-- does rarity necessarily make that an asset, and am I justified in blowing past KBB in asking price?
Thanks guys
Dave
Spartanburg, SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:20 PM
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Shocked by low KBB resale values-- does 6MT+4WD justify asking above KBB?

I would say it's more about the MT being less valuable than the AT being more valuable. KBB likely takes into consideration the version that more consumers are likely to seek out, and other than a few rare birds like us, more folks want autos, there was a reason your MT was a special order item, the MT is a dying "skill" if you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtnbound likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:21 PM
2011 Lava Red Xterra S 4x4 6MT

You’re not going to want to hear this but rarity has nothing to do with value. In fact, in this case the manual makes it less valuable because fewer and fewer people know how, much less want, to drive one. Now, there are people out there seeking manual X’s (myself being one when I bought) but that doesn’t make them more valuable. I’d say $4,000-$4,500 is roughly what your looking at for a fair value. For reference, I bought my 2011 6MT with 121,000 miles on it for $9,000 OTD in October of 2018 in Rock Hill, SC (so same region).

Last edited by zanethan; 07-11-2019 at 02:38 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanethan View Post
You’re not going to want to hear this but rarity has nothing to do with value. In fact, in this case the manual makes it less valuable because fewer and fewer people know how, much less want, to drive one. .
HOWEVER..... if you advertise it for sale you could say that it comes with a "factory installed anti-theft device" (a manual transmission).

Actually Zane is right. So few people know how to drive a manual that even semis now come with automatci transmissions.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:58 PM
2012 Super Duper Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Also don't forget that KBB is the low estimate. There won't be a huge differrence, but try comparing it on https://www.edmunds.com/appraisal/ and https://www.nada.com/
bluez likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:01 PM
Veteran

Yeah.. generally Nissans are not known for their high resale values whereas a very used 2002 Toyota Tacoma with unmatched wheels with 700K miles is still going for $1,000,000. =)
mtnbound and morrisjw2 like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:21 PM
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
Yeah.. generally Nissans are not known for their high resale values whereas a very used 2002 Toyota Tacoma with unmatched wheels with 700K miles is still going for $1,000,000. =)

True story, I traded my 2002 Tacoma TRD Off road 4 door in for my Xterra, I paid $12k out the door for the Tacoma and it had 150k on it, when I traded it they gave me $10k and it had 220k on the odometer. I love my X, but trading that Tacoma is a regret I have to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:21 PM
2011 Lava Red Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:

Right?!?! I’m always amazed at the prices old Toyota’s can still fetch.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 PM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
That always confused me. So far *knocks on wood* mine has been perfectly reliable. More capable and seems more powerful than a 4runner. I understand why other nissans have terrible resale, basically anything with a cvt transmission, but not the x. I am pretty biased though as my 4runner was nicknamed a 4stopper cause the thing was so unreliable and constantly breaking down.

I've only owned 1 auto and that was for 6 months. Now living in LA, I understand why you would want an auto for daily driving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 PM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

When I bought my 2015 pro4x brand new the automatic was ~$1500 more then the manual. I prefer manual anyway, so I saved myself some coin. They are lighter and less expensive to manufacture.
SledheadX likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in