Fallout from SMOD Attack - What to Do... - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:06 PM
2011 Lava Red Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
That's what I was thinking too. However, he said a lot of transmissions out there are out there for this reason. It's hard for him to tell,he said, until it's installed. He said I have a 90 day warranty, but I don't live there and I know my son doesn't have time for it. I might tow it home for a project, or just unload it. Regretfully...

Have him look for a 2011 (Iím pretty sure they are compatible) or newer transmission, the bad radiator issues were resolved by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2006 Red Braun ❌terra, 2007 Red Titan & 2013 Red Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanethan View Post
Have him look for a 2011 (Iím pretty sure they are compatible) or newer transmission, the bad radiator issues were resolved by then.
Good idea! Can they tell by the part numbers or something? I know pretty much everything was the same. Thanks!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:17 PM
2011 Lava Red Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
Good idea! Can they tell by the part numbers or something? I know pretty much everything was the same. Thanks!

I believe there would be a S/N that could be looked up to verify date of manufacture. On the manual itís on a plate with a bar code on the passenger side of the transmission.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:25 PM
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S

Is there a difference in Transmissions if it comes out of a 2wd vs 4wd? Does a trans. from another truck need special programming or could a person do the swap by themselves?
Adam12SD likes this.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:36 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBett View Post
Is there a difference in Transmissions if it comes out of a 2wd vs 4wd? Does a trans. from another truck need special programming or could a person do the swap by themselves?
Yes, there's a difference. The shaft protruding from the rear end of the 2wd is longer than the 4wd version. I'm assuming this has to do with how it is mated to a tail housing/driveshaft yoke as opposed to a transfer case.

The swap can be done, I'm sure but would involve rebuilding the transmission to get the innards out and swapping the shaft. Not impossible, but certainly not feasible IMO.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 PM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Montag.

I wish someone had warned you about the risk of SMOD.
If so, your Xterra may have been good for another 100K miles.
leeleatherwood likes this.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:12 PM
2011 QX56

Your problems with your Nissan dealership are not unique to Nissan. It is a fact that ALL dealerships hire the majority of their "techs" straight out of school. They have zero experience and can do nothing except follow instructions from a screen. Toyota, Cadillac, Lincoln, Ford, Infiniti, Lexus, VW, BMW, Jeep, all the same. You will only find real experienced mechanics at independent shops. For every bad experience you have had with your Nissan dealership, you can easily find thousands of people with bad experiences with Toyota.

As far as your SMOD issue, that's 100% your fault. Nissan was replacing faulty radiators for a period of time, you said you knew about it a few years ago yet you failed to act.

You knew you had a ticking time bomb but you failed to spare 30 entire minutes out of your super busy life to do the bypass. Your son, apparently too busy with Air Force life, again too busy to spare 30 minutes to do the bypass? I was in the Army, Combat Arms, much tougher than the Air Force that's a fact, I made sure I took the time to take care of the issue.

Maybe it's because the Army instilled me with Discipline to perform Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services on my equipment?

Or maybe it's because the Army instilled me with Integrity to take ownership and not try to blame others?

Or maybe it's because I'm just not lazy?

Anyways, tell your son to get off his ass and do the PMF, thats your best bet.

Don't take it to the mechanic. Your son will never learn to be a man if his daddy is dropping $1000 at a mechanic for something he can do himself for $80.
Just a Hunter likes this.

Last edited by leeleatherwood; 06-21-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:28 PM
2012 Xterra X

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleatherwood View Post
Your problems with your Nissan dealership are not unique to Nissan. It is a fact that ALL dealerships hire the majority of their "techs" straight out of school. They have zero experience and can do nothing except follow instructions from a screen. Toyota, Cadillac, Lincoln, Ford, Infiniti, Lexus, VW, BMW, Jeep, all the same. You will only find real experienced mechanics at independent shops.
While that is true at some places, it's not at others... At my Cadillac service department, we do have a few that just got out of school, but out of 12 techs, 8 of them have over 20 years experience. Not all dealers are full of young, inexperienced techs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
mtnbound likes this.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleatherwood View Post
Your problems with your Nissan dealership are not unique to Nissan. It is a fact that ALL dealerships hire the majority of their "techs" straight out of school. They have zero experience and can do nothing except follow instructions from a screen. Toyota, Cadillac, Lincoln, Ford, Infiniti, Lexus, VW, BMW, Jeep, all the same. You will only find real experienced mechanics at independent shops. For every bad experience you have had with your Nissan dealership, you can easily find thousands of people with bad experiences with Toyota.

As far as your SMOD issue, that's 100% your fault. Nissan was replacing faulty radiators for a period of time, you said you knew about it a few years ago yet you failed to act.

You knew you had a ticking time bomb but you failed to spare 30 entire minutes out of your super busy life to do the bypass. Your son, apparently too busy with Air Force life, again too busy to spare 30 minutes to do the bypass? I was in the Army, Combat Arms, much tougher than the Air Force that's a fact, I made sure I took the time to take care of the issue.

Maybe it's because the Army instilled me with Discipline to perform Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services on my equipment?

Or maybe it's because the Army instilled me with Integrity to take ownership and not try to blame others?

Or maybe it's because I'm just not lazy?

Anyways, tell your son to get off his ass and do the PMF, thats your best bet.

Don't take it to the mechanic. Your son will never learn to be a man if his daddy is dropping $1000 at a mechanic for something he can do himself for $80.
Wow. Completely off-topic and uncalled for bud. There are a lot of veterans here, including the ones you're talking to. Simmer down.
Montag, mtnbound, TDog98x and 1 others like this.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:17 PM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Adam12sd.

Actually, I feel Leeleatherwood was pretty well correct in his post regarding smod.
Yes, he could have used a feather duster approach rather than the swing of a bat, but I could argue this has already been tried.

I joined these forum on March of 2017 and one of the first topics I read was on SMOD.
As a forum member, I've tried to warn every new member which has an Xterra built during the "SMOD" years of the need to address this issue. At any given time there is always an active topic regarding smod and the damage caused by it. Additionally, there is a pinned topic in the powertrain forum dedicated to smod.

Often enough new members will join this forum asking for advice regarding a problem which they were never aware of.

However, a member which has been here since 2011 should have been well aware of the steps which are needed to prevent the damage caused by smod. To know there is a problem and either ignore it or assume it won't happen to you is nothing less than ignorance.

Hopefully, if another member with a smod yeared xterra reads leeleatherwoods post they will be motivated to perform a bypass until they can replace their radiator or save up a few extra grand (which they dont need for something else) and be ready to replace their transmission.

If you own an 2005 thru 2009 ( possibly even 2010) Nissan Xterra with an automatic transmission, please take SMOD seriously.

The question is probably not " If you will get smod" but rather "When will you get smod."
leeleatherwood and mtnbound like this.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 06-21-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode