About to Join the Xterra Owning ... I Hope... - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
About to Join the Xterra Owning ... I Hope...

Hey all
After a month of lurking this site, Craigslist, CarMax, etc.. I’m flying out to see a 2012 Pro-4x that was pointed out here a few weeks ago.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...890661607.html

I’m pretty excited, and the car looks pretty clean, but am looking for advice on what to check out before I buy.

If this works out I expect to suddenly become a bit more active in here, so thanks in advance for any ideas.
X4dblduty and TerryD like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Check for leaking rear axle seals. The brake backing plates will be wet with oil and possibly oil leaking into the wheels.

Check the transmission fluid color/ smell if it's an automatic. You'll need a 10mm socket to get the dipstick out.

I think that's the main two issues with the later models. There's a thread stickied in the welcome center that links to more info to help out.
Montag and WhitePro4 like this.

Mildly Demented...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 AM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
Good luck with your purchase!

>
&

>

>
|

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Thanks for the hints.

I'm a bit of a mechanical novice, but I'll check the transmission fluid and look for axle seal failures (and I guess get ready to perform the rear diff vent hack)!

I fly down on Thursday and will undoubtably be crawling the forums a bit more when I get the car home.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Thanks!

I'm actually most nervous about running such a large transaction person-person. Other than that, I'm excited to get this car off road as quickly as reasonably possible.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2006 Red Braun ❌terra, 2007 Red Titan & 2013 Red Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
Hey all
After a month of lurking this site, Craigslist, CarMax, etc.. I’m flying out to see a 2012 Pro-4x that was pointed out here a few weeks ago.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...890661607.html

I’m pretty excited, and the car looks pretty clean, but am looking for advice on what to check out before I buy.

If this works out I expect to suddenly become a bit more active in here, so thanks in advance for any ideas.
Be careful. I live in L.A. too and have seen all kinds of scams here. There are legitimate sellers, but there are some pretty sophisticated scams too. So keep your eyes open. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:59 PM
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Garage
That ad is no longer active, hoping sold to an enthusiast here (looks like to you @prankster), had decent set up with GPS, CB, etc. was down to $16K, not bad I think considering the equipment included. Congrats and welcome!

Last edited by X4dblduty; 06-18-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Yep. That’s me. I’ll post again if all goes well and I can take pics of the rig.

Have to admit I know *nothing* about the radio setup in there, so that’s totally overkill, but I like the rest of the configuration, the age, and the idea of getting off-road with a trail worthy vehicle.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:09 PM
Gio
2009 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
Yep. That’s me. I’ll post again if all goes well and I can take pics of the rig.

Have to admit I know *nothing* about the radio setup in there, so that’s totally overkill, but I like the rest of the configuration, the age, and the idea of getting off-road with a trail worthy vehicle.
Congrats and welcome ;-)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 PM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4

Garage
That's a long drive back home...about 8 or 9 hours.
I suspect by the time you pull into a parking spot in San Pablo - you'll have a serious big ass grin on your face.

Congratulations on a great buy !

Craigslist post had expired...so details please...how many miles, what color, and what previous stuff was already done on this Nissan ?

How's the leaf springs and the shocks all around look ?

Last edited by BlackbirdSR71; 06-18-2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode