Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

About to Join the Xterra Owning ... I Hope...

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Brunnie 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Check for leaking rear axle seals. The brake backing plates will be wet with oil and possibly oil leaking into the wheels.

Check the transmission fluid color/ smell if it's an automatic. You'll need a 10mm socket to get the dipstick out.

I think that's the main two issues with the later models. There's a thread stickied in the welcome center that links to more info to help out.

#4 ·
Thanks for the hints.

I'm a bit of a mechanical novice, but I'll check the transmission fluid and look for axle seal failures (and I guess get ready to perform the rear diff vent hack)!

I fly down on Thursday and will undoubtably be crawling the forums a bit more when I get the car home.

#8 ·
Yep. That’s me. I’ll post again if all goes well and I can take pics of the rig.

Have to admit I know *nothing* about the radio setup in there, so that’s totally overkill, but I like the rest of the configuration, the age, and the idea of getting off-road with a trail worthy vehicle.

#10 · (Edited)
That's a long drive back home...about 8 or 9 hours.
I suspect by the time you pull into a parking spot in San Pablo - you'll have a serious big ass grin on your face.

Congratulations on a great buy !

Craigslist post had expired...so details please...how many miles, what color, and what previous stuff was already done on this Nissan ?

How's the leaf springs and the shocks all around look ?

#12 ·
So it worked! Met the previous owner, poked around a bit, and drove the 400 miles back up the 5.
The trucks in immaculate shape except for a steering wheel rumble at about 75 mph. The tires are about due, but otherwise I’m the proud owner of a 2012 with Shrockworks rear bumper and sliders, drop in rack, ARB awning, and ham and cb radios.
Still figuring out a bunch of stuff, but thanks for the welcome and suggestions here and I’ll post pics soon in the welcome forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.