Need help Quick: Dog Smell - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
2012 Xterra 4x4 S

Need help Quick: Dog Smell

As of yesterday I am once again the owner of an X. I picked up a 2012 Night Armor Xterra S in Lexington. The vehicle looked nice, handled like a dream, but has the worst wet dog smell I have ever smelt. I was told by the sales guy that the fog-out bomb he sent me home with would neutralize any smell and make it smell like a new vehicle. I used it overnight and it didn't put a dent in it. I smell it on my clothes now.

I called the dealership and they told me they don't normally detail used vehicles when they were sold. (New one on me .. I thought all vehicles were cleaned up. I detailed my trade in) They are going to shampoo it and work on it all day tomorrow. I have two days for my 72 hour guarantee. I am skeptical they will get the smell out.

Any advice? I am contemplating keeping it and looking for replacement seats from a junk yard (and carpet). My trade in was starting to have major troubles so I didn't have a long time to shop. I would have held out for a yellow X if that wasn't the case.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by themeecer; 06-14-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
Shampoo the hell outta it and grab a couple charcoal air freshener bags...I swear by these things...I am a smoker of cigs and...and my truck does not have a smokey smell...they're good for two years so long as you leave em in the sun for one day a month, I have one right on my dash
Frink likes this.

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
2012 Xterra 4x4 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHere! View Post
Shampoo the hell outta it and grab a couple charcoal air freshener bags...I swear by these things...I am a smoker of cigs and...and my truck does not have a smokey smell...they're good for two years so long as you leave em in the sun for one day a month, I have one right on my dash
Thanks. I was just hoping that others have had success out of it. I was excited to be back in the X club and this really put a damper on it.

Spoke with a guy in our cleanup department (I'm the IT manager at a transportation company) and he said he used to own a detailing shop. He claimed he was asked to clean a vehicle the owner had used for a dog house for 3 years. He said he was able to get every bit of the smell out in one day.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
Did he tell YOU how? lol

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
2012 Xterra 4x4 S

He said they "took the seats out" and shampooed (minimal water) and scrubbed the seats and carpet and then used a shop vac on it. Only charged $100 to do the job. If the dealership leaves some smell I am going to hire him to do it.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:53 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Lots of options, but to really get it done you need to pull out the seats and carpet.

Remove all covers from seats and get a large storage tote to wash them in. Baking soda in the wash water is a big help. I use Dawn. Soak em in hot water as long as you can.
Rinse them out with a hose. A LOT.

Use a TON of baking soda on the cushions and try to put them in the sun for a few hours after coating them with it. Bring them inside before dark.
Vac off the baking soda after 24 hours.

Rent a steam vac or pressure wash the carpet.

I also second the charcoal bags. Get the cabin filters with it in em too. You also may need to spray disinfectant into the HVAC.

Lastly, I actually have a full set of seats. And maybe the carpet too. I’ll PM ya.

Last edited by MartinX; 06-14-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran

Ozone Machine.

HomeDepot may rent one ... otherwise look around, they are available.
And it will work. They are used to eliminate smoke/pet odors.
Frink likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:55 PM
2012 Super Duper Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Ok, so here's what you do.

You start out by trapping the meanest stray cat you can find. Keep it in a box right next to the washing machine. I mean, like up against it, or even better yet, on top of it. Load the washer with the heaviest blanket you can find and a brick. If you don't have a brick, a large rock will do. Start the washer. Keep it going to get that stray cat as agitated as possible. Feed the cat, though. And give it water. There's no sense in being mean to it.

In the mean time, pick up your X from the dealership and take a big, long sniff. Did they get the stench out? yep? Good! Nope? Even better! If not, take your truck to your guy and have him de-stinkify that thing.

Now, don't forget you have a very mean, very agitated (but not hungry) stray cat to contend with. Put that box in your truck, preferably right next to a speaker, and drive to the dealership... wearing a clown costume. Ask to see the salesman that told you they don't detail their vehicles. When he approaches, start shaking the box. Not too hard though, there is a living being inside. This part is really important, so read carefully... Position the box so that the flap is facing you. When you open that sucker, you want the cats only avenue of escape to be right into the salesman, not your face.

Tell the salesman you have a surprise for him, and have him lean in real close as you shake that box one last time. When he gets within range, quickly release the flap and let that little ball of raging anger loose. In one swift movement, drop the box and make for the quickest exit ever performed by a human.

This plan solves two problems.

1: Your X gets clean.
2: You get back at the stealership for taking your time with you beloved new vehicle.
3: You get a good laugh out of it.
4: The stray cat finds a new best friend and probably a home (with the salesman).
5: It shows that I am not only the worst at giving advice, but also bad at math.

Hope this helps...

P.S. Don't do this. It is probably the single worst idea you have ever read. If you got this far into this comment, Kudos to you.
MeHere! likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:58 PM
2012 Super Duper Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
For real though. Shampoo, charcoal filters and baking soda. If you can gently clean the headliner too, that'll help. Don't use steam or too much water though. In the Army, I used to clean all my gear with Oxy-Clean. It worked wonders on that gear, which I'm sure rivaled the smell of your truck at times.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
2012 Xterra 4x4 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCannon View Post
Ok, so here's what you do.

You start out by trapping the meanest stray cat you can find. Keep it in a box right next to the washing machine. I mean, like up against it, or even better yet, on top of it. Load the washer with the heaviest blanket you can find and a brick. If you don't have a brick, a large rock will do. Start the washer. Keep it going to get that stray cat as agitated as possible. Feed the cat, though. And give it water. There's no sense in being mean to it.

In the mean time, pick up your X from the dealership and take a big, long sniff. Did they get the stench out? yep? Good! Nope? Even better! If not, take your truck to your guy and have him de-stinkify that thing.

Now, don't forget you have a very mean, very agitated (but not hungry) stray cat to contend with. Put that box in your truck, preferably right next to a speaker, and drive to the dealership... wearing a clown costume. Ask to see the salesman that told you they don't detail their vehicles. When he approaches, start shaking the box. Not too hard though, there is a living being inside. This part is really important, so read carefully... Position the box so that the flap is facing you. When you open that sucker, you want the cats only avenue of escape to be right into the salesman, not your face.

Tell the salesman you have a surprise for him, and have him lean in real close as you shake that box one last time. When he gets within range, quickly release the flap and let that little ball of raging anger loose. In one swift movement, drop the box and make for the quickest exit ever performed by a human.

This plan solves two problems.

1: Your X gets clean.
2: You get back at the stealership for taking your time with you beloved new vehicle.
3: You get a good laugh out of it.
4: The stray cat finds a new best friend and probably a home (with the salesman).
5: It shows that I am not only the worst at giving advice, but also bad at math.

Hope this helps...

P.S. Don't do this. It is probably the single worst idea you have ever read. If you got this far into this comment, Kudos to you.
I like your style.

P.S. After riding around with that smell I don't consider this a horrible idea. Honestly they should have been ashamed to send it out this way.
FishCannon likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode