Airbag Warning: Removed my Front Passenger-seat - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By General_Tarfun
  • 1 Post By jsexton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra X 4x4

Airbag Warning: Removed my Front Passenger-seat

Hi, haven't posted in awhile but I may have created a problem with my airbags. So, i removed the front pasenger seat on my 2012 xterra x (manual, not heated seats)

Airbag warning flashing. Tried to reset it a couple of times with the ON till goes out 3x, @ 5 second intervals, then off for 10 seconds while it does diagnostics, as per Ry the car guy's instructions.

Wonder if I have really messed things up, that none of the airbags are functional? I went to a car guy to remove the seat for this reason. I asked him if we should have disconnected the battery. He said no.

Advice would be appreciated. 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:10 AM
2011 Lava Red Xterra S 4x4 6MT

I think the reset procedure is turn key to on then within 1 second of the airbag lights first flash turn it off and remove the key. Repeat 4x and then it’s reset. At least that’s the procedure I use after disconnecting the airbags for wheeling.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishergal28 View Post
Hi, haven't posted in awhile but I may have created a problem with my airbags. So, i removed the front pasenger seat on my 2012 xterra x (manual, not heated seats)

Airbag warning flashing. Tried to reset it a couple of times with the ON till goes out 3x, @ 5 second intervals, then off for 10 seconds while it does diagnostics, as per Ry the car guy's instructions.

Wonder if I have really messed things up, that none of the airbags are functional? I went to a car guy to remove the seat for this reason. I asked him if we should have disconnected the battery. He said no.

Advice would be appreciated. 🙂
If I'm interpreting this correctly the passenger sear is completely removed? If that's true there's a pressure sensor in the seat that's connected to the BCM via small wiring harness, if you removed it and didn't reconnected that sensor it's probably detecting it as missing and that's why the light is on. This past weekend I triggered that light just by removing the LED from the 'Passenger Airbag' light next to the radio so I think it's looking for everything down to the warning light to all be functional. I'd pull the sensor mat out of the seat and reconnect it, you could probably roll it up and shove inside the center console area below the cupholders.
ZheKing likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
I've removed my seats several times with no issue. Just do the airbag reset (you can find it on here, I can't remember the exact sequence).

One time it didn't work for me - I forgot to plug the seat back in.

Edit:

should be this procedure:
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/12-ele...procedure.html

Airbag Reset Procedure
1. Put the key in the ignition, and turn to ON...it will turn on for around 6 seconds (give or take).
2. As soon as it starts to blink, turn the key off and take it out of the ignition.
3. Repeat 3 times
4. On the last time (4th all in all) it should turn on once you turn the key to ON (as it did the last 3 times) but then it should turn off and stay off.
Jayrat likes this.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

It's sounding like the seat may not have been re-installed OP will have to confirm. If the seat is still out, and the harness is left empty then it will detect the error.

If the seat was put back, and you still cannot reset, the reset needs to happen with a scan tool. Sometimes getting the timing just right to clear lights when doing it manually can be a crapshoot. IF the light still cannot be reset during a scan tool reset, same scan tool should be able to see the error.

If the entire system down to the warning lights are not present and accounted for, the system will disable. This means no airbags. These are explosive devices and the computer needs to know everything in order to decide whether to deploy or not.

If you don't have a passenger seat anymore and need the airbags functional, you'll have to research what kind of resistance the computer is looking for at that circuit. You will then need to plug in a resistor into the open harness connector and then find a way to secure it. This is how shady car dealers sometimes get airbags systems to think everything is functional when it isn't. Once you have the proper resistance at the plug, the computer thinks everything is present in the system.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:57 PM
Veteran
2010 Xterra OR 6MT

No seat = error.
Will only clear if everything is correct. If not you are wasting your time on the reset procedure. Correct seat installed, everything hooked up correctly, the only way to fix it.

Was I the only one who was sobor and paying attention in college?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra X 4x4

Thank you both! Yep, so I reinstalled seat and did the warning light procedure a la Ry the Car Guy. Back to normal!

What I reallllyy need is one of those fold flat front seats. Some day ....

Thanks again!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode