Coding Xterras - Is it Possible? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
gus
TNX Realm Noobie
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Coding Xterras - Is it Possible?

I’d like to know if anyone has experience coding these trucks. I think there are some ex and current BMW owners here that may know what I am talking about, or I hope so anyway.

I owned a 2007 BMW e92 (328i coupe) and with a laptop, USB to OBD2 cable, and factory BMW INPA software, I had the ability to diagnose and manipulate functions in the cars computer system. I’m not talking about engine scanners to read and clear codes. This software (NCS Expert, EDIABAS, NFS) allowed you to turn functions on/off and change duration, like the amount of time until the lights turn off automatically.

For example:
In my previous car, I installed led turn signal bulbs and had hyper flash. Instead of cutting into my wiring and adding resistors, I found the line of code for the cold testing that occurs when you turn the car on and changed the setting from “ACTIVE” to “NOT_ACTIVE”. It was in German so it was actually “AKTIV” to “NICHT_AKTIV”, but this resolved the hyper flash cleanly and was reversible.

Another example:
All 3 series cars had the same computer. Only the M3 cars displayed a digital speedometer on the dash. With the BMW software I was able to turn the digital speedometer on in my 328i. The function always existed, it just need to be turned on.

My Pro-4x has a DTE (Distance To Empty) menu on the dash that my S did not. I would think these trucks have the same computer and ship with different settings activated. I don’t see why this setting couldn’t be turned on for all Xterras.

Here’s a short list of examples that could be changed that I think could cross over:

-Fog Lights + High Beam - Allows fog lights to stay on when the high beams are on. This could be applied to our off-road and fog lights, or allow us to turn them on by themselves and shut off automatically as normal.
-High beams on when unlocking the car
-Length of time that Welcome Lights Stay on - Change to your choice.
-Enable Shift Suggestion in 6MT
-TPMS Disable
-Door Dong - Disable when key is in.
-Instant MPG - Displays instant MPG in dash cluster
-Bulb Testing Warning - Cold testing bulbs in front turn signals, possible for any bulbs, disables hyper flash.
Wipers Complete - Wipers always complete cycle. Normally, when you open the door they stop where they are. This allows them to return to normal position.
-Windows Down with FOB - Press and hold the unlock button on the FOB for 5 seconds and front windows roll down.
-Corner LED Delete -Disables side marker/signal light when headlights are on.
-Seat Belt Chime - Disables seat belt chime. Not recommended but possible.
-Unlock Doors - Unlocks all doors when you remove key
-Disable windows safety feature - Opening doors will not interrupt window roll up operation. Normally, if you open a door while the window is automatically rolling up, it will stop the operation. This feature disables it.

-Front fog lights on when unlocking the car - Front fog lights on when Welcome Light activated.
Possible values:
"hart_einschalten" - instant on
"soft_einschalten" - gradual
"nicht_aktiv" - disabled

The BMW forum had a coding section like our Powertrain & Driveline section, so, I’m sure where this topic would be most appropriate. Anyway, it would be great if someone could shed some light on this for me.
Allshookup, JEMZ, bluez and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
I know you can do a lot of things on other nissans with uprev, but not so much on the xterra, which sucks. I think some of the things you are mentioning can be achieved with consult, but that's what, $1200??

A lot of the stuff you're mentioning (fogs + highs, welcome light time etc) is control with the BCM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:04 PM
Some random dude
2006 Solar Yellow ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
There are a couple things in play with this.

First off, and not to be too stereotypical, but most of the people on this forum are the type whos skills lend more towards hitting things with a hammer vs being able to modify code. And the ones that are capable of coding, there are a couple things to consider before attempting to do something like this. We would need to have access to expensive equipment to be able to dump the firmware from the various computers, then spend a bunch of time reverse-engineering the code to determine what each function does, and see if it can be modified, then risk bricking our vehicle by modifying and reflashing the firmware, with the hopes that we didn't type something wrong. This can take a great deal of time and effort.

Secondly, some of these higher-end cars likely have more computer-driven features to them than our Xterras do. It is a lot cheaper, easier, and more reliable to just have a switch that controls power to a light, vs having the switch talk to a computer to turn on the light, so unless Nissan was planning on having advanced light-control features, it doesn't make sense to go through a bunch of extra effort to make it happen. BMW sells more luxury cars, so it makes sense for them to implement those added little features.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
Can I bang a code wit da hammah??

With that said, I am going to look into uprev
FLAX likes this.

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:24 AM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisanerd View Post
Secondly, some of these higher-end cars likely have more computer-driven features to them than our Xterras do. It is a lot cheaper, easier, and more reliable to just have a switch that controls power to a light, vs having the switch talk to a computer to turn on the light, so unless Nissan was planning on having advanced light-control features, it doesn't make sense to go through a bunch of extra effort to make it happen. BMW sells more luxury cars, so it makes sense for them to implement those added little features.
Except that even in our Xterras, those switches are telling the BCM to do something.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:30 AM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
Coding Xterras - Is it Possible?

As an IT professional, I bought an Xterra and won’t let it go because it has less electronics and more mechanical components than most other “modern” cars. I’d be interested to know what if anything new you learn, you know, for science.

Click Here for >
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:34 AM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
@gus - Some of us have started looking into some of this to see what might be able to be done. See thread below..

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/265-on...-bus-%241.html

>
&

>

>
|
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:15 AM
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Volkswagen has something similar to what you described on your BMW but called VAG-COM and used a cable from a company called Ross-Tech. the cable and software broke things down to different bites of code and would allow you to turn things on/off and could even adjust the limited slip diff as well.

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:47 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

When you look at everything a Bully Dog can control/adjust on a Toyota it makes me a little envious.

I'd love to be able to make all the windows wind down with a key in the driver's door, and my age old wish, make the delay about twice as long on the rear wiper.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Some random dude
2006 Solar Yellow ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by satown210 View Post
Except that even in our Xterras, those switches are telling the BCM to do something.
I'll admin that I haven't dug too much into how technologically advanced the BCM is, but doing some of this stuff is also possible as a result of relays rather than specific code, which means that modifying timings and other things would have to be done by physically changing components, rather than just a new firmware flash. And some things are a combination of both code and electrical changes.

At the end of the day, a lot of this comes down to having someone who understands both code and electronics having the desire and tools to spend a bunch of time digging through what was done, reverse engineering it, and experimenting with changes to see what can and cannot be done.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode