If you had $1000 and a Stock Xterra, What would you Mod - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra

If you had $1000 and a Stock Xterra, What would you Mod

I have a stock 2006 Xterra (not a pro 4x). It is completely stock however it does have 30.5in all-terrain tires. I am going to school near Reno starting next year and I would love to get into overlanding. I have managed to save some money from working the last few months i am willing to spend up to $1000 in mods for the vehicle. What would you recommend modding to improve off-road performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:43 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Have you done all the maintenance that a vehicle of that many years requires?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra

Yes the vehicle has been well maintained and is in good condition.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:02 AM
Noobie

10 ply A/T tires, rock sliders, recovery boards, air compressor, and a shovel.
idn88 and kolsky like this.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:03 AM
2005 Xterra

Overlanding? You should be all set

Wanna improve rock crawling/obstacles protection? Used skids, used rock sliders. I'd also try and budget for some 255/85 mud tires
kolsky likes this.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Desert Stone ❌terra SE 4x4

2006... A New Koyo Radiator if you've still got your original Calsonic installed!!!
TerryD, KenHurst and BlackbirdSR71 like this.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 AM
2008 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftonBilly View Post
2006... A New Koyo Radiator if you've still got your original Calsonic installed!!!
I've got to emphasize changing the radiator (if it is still the factory unit). The factory installed Calsonic radiators (before 2010) have a high probability of leaking coolant into the transmission which then wipes out your transmission.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftonBilly View Post
If this is all good....

Personally a mild lift was the mod I regretted not doing sooner. A OME complete lift will replace all the worn out shocks and springs and give it just enough lift to feel a difference.

I might run a bit over $1000, all things considered. (I'd do lower control arms and cam bolts while you are at it....)
kolsky likes this.

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

-
-

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Lava Red Xterra Pro-4X

Just building on what others have said- if overlanding is your goal, then maintenance is your priority. Xterras are more than capable of most overlanding right out of the box - make sure that radiator is up to snuff, all the fluids are up to date, battery checks out, etc.... then you know you won't get stranded.

Once that is done - I think it kind of depends on your plans. I'm in Colorado, so any half way fun trail is going to involve at least one river crossing or deep puddle (especially this summer) so extending the rear breather tube was my first priority.

Now I know my truck is reliable, and I won't cause any lasting damage when my rear wheel drops into a hole I didn't see when I pre-walked through the river....

Then communication is probably next - most club runs require at least a CB, but if you do more "spur of the moment" type trips and trails, even a set of hand helds is valuable, you can hand one out to the other vehicle - quick and easy communication is crucial.

But none of these is very fun - so my very next mod, assuming the tires are in good shape, is sliders. They look cool, they are useful for standing on, and they will potentially save you some very expensive "whoops" moments.

Then I would just use the hell out of it. You'll find out very quickly if you need a lift, more lights, beefy bumpers, etc...

But boring stuff first - make sure you can get home without walking - so get that radiator looked into.

Have fun!
Brunnie, JEMZ, MeHere! and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:57 AM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Tires!

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode