Another guy Looking to Buy an Xterra - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Another guy Looking to Buy an Xterra

Hi all,
So I've got a 2006 Xterra x 4x4 6sp manual I'm working on getting my hands on. Going to fly up and check it out this Sunday. Car has 106k miles and pretty good service records. 2 owner car. Original owner had it for 11 years before trading it in and only out 85k miles on it. Dealer made several repairs. Fixed cracked coolant lines, flushed radiator, new clutch new flywheel, fixed fuel line leak, replaced timing chain and guides. 2nd owner did the routine maintenance but now selling because he needs an automatic. Asking $8k.
Anyone care to out their 2cents in? Yay it nay?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:06 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktomjr View Post
Hi all,
So I've got a 2006 Xterra x 4x4 6sp manual I'm working on getting my hands on. Going to fly up and check it out this Sunday. Car has 106k miles and pretty good service records. 2 owner car. Original owner had it for 11 years before trading it in and only out 85k miles on it. Dealer made several repairs. Fixed cracked coolant lines, flushed radiator, new clutch new flywheel, fixed fuel line leak, replaced timing chain and guides. 2nd owner did the routine maintenance but now selling because he needs an automatic. Asking $8k.
Anyone care to out their 2cents in? Yay it nay?
Thanks in advance

I was about to say watch out for SMOD with those coolant related fixes until I saw you said it's a manual. Timing chains/guides are a big one so that's nice they're already done. Other than that I would just check it the OBDII for any emissions codes and make sure that it hasn't been erased recently since the catalytic convertors are pricey to replace but 106k would be early for those anyway.

Other than that on an 06 the things to watch out for are mostly age related, hoses deteriorating, rubber parts shrinking, etc. If it's been taken care of it should start up as fast as a brand new car, have a smooth idle, accelerate without any abnormal noises, it should not sound like a turbo or supercharged engine, no clunks, rattles, vibrating, etc.

I get a good feeling from a truck owned by one person for 11 years, I've owned mine slightly longer than that and the only reason someone keeps anything that long is because they like it and take care of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Awesome. Appreciate the advice 👍

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:42 AM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
Hope your finding an X works out. Start saving for mods now buddy.
Adam12SD likes this.

Click Here for >
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
$8 is a little high but with only 106k on it and so many of the things that cause issues taken care of, I'd consider it if it's as clean as I'd imagine it is.

Look for leaking diff fluid on the rear brakes. That's a common issue. And the cats are good advice as well. Otherwise it seems like the extra money paid out at the beginning is going to save you a lot of labor in the long run with this one.

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 AM
2011 Lava Red Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
$8 is a little high but with only 106k on it and so many of the things that cause issues taken care of, I'd consider it if it's as clean as I'd imagine it is.

Look for leaking diff fluid on the rear brakes. That's a common issue. And the cats are good advice as well. Otherwise it seems like the extra money paid out at the beginning is going to save you a lot of labor in the long run with this one.

I agree with this. $8k is a bit much for an 06 but at that age Iíd place significantly more value in how itís been maintained over the year, trim, options, etc. Timing chains is the big one for pre Ď11 manuals. Catalytic converters will likely need to be done in 30-50k as indicated in a previous post. If you could get it closer to $7k Iíd say itís a good deal.

Click Here for >
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
^ I thought the same thing until I read the timing chains were done already, that saves around $2000 of potential future repair cost plus at least a few days of time saved not having to come on here and ask hey what's this whining noise I'm hearing haha. That's definitely why the asking price is 8k though, if it's been maintained well up to that point it has a lot of life left in it.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
^ I thought the same thing until I read the timing chains were done already, that saves around $2000 of potential future repair cost plus at least a few days of time saved not having to come on here and ask hey what's this whining noise I'm hearing haha. That's definitely why the asking price is 8k though, if it's been maintained well up to that point it has a lot of life left in it.

I agree with this train of thought. I maintain a vehicle to the best of my financial and mechanical ability but unfortunately when selling a car people like us donít seem to come around very often and everyone wants to tire kick.

Click Here for >
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
Get it

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

After it's fully warmed up watch the oil pressure at idle. At least some '06s had a real oil pressure gauge, and some also have a problem with a blown oil galley gasket causing low pressure at idle.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode