Issues with my Xterra - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Super Black ❌terra SV

Garage
Issues with my Xterra

Hey all,

I get the battery gauge arrow go's like a 1-3mm downwards sometimes.

I tried to record it at least 10 times and couldn't get the chance to catch it but when i parked my X in my garage, this issue happened again.

It happens often when i stop my X after driving a bit and usually it happens at a red light.

I went to get my X inspected this morning and my battery and altermator is perfectly fine.

Did anybody ever experienced this problem before?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190420_103826.jpg (44.3 KB, 26 views)

Born in Ukraine-SSR(89'), Canada (98')

No Road? .. No Problem!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:35 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

The X doesn't constantly charge, flips between about 14v and 12 point something v. It's an effort to save fuel.
UA_Xterra108 likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 PM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

Check the battery with a multimeter. I had some weird behavior with a weak battery. was enough to start the X but would cause strange instrument and idle when it started. after changing battery was fine. I was measuring 12.1v when it would act funny. when over 12.3 seemed to work ok.
UA_Xterra108 likes this.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntellectualRedneck View Post
Check the battery with a multimeter. I had some weird behavior with a weak battery. was enough to start the X but would cause strange instrument and idle when it started. after changing battery was fine. I was measuring 12.1v when it would act funny. when over 12.3 seemed to work ok.
cheers, i'll check it out.
bluez likes this.

No Road? .. No Problem!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Veteran
2010 Xterra OR 6MT

The charging system is computer controlled. The regulator takes instructions from the engine controller.
Some really smart person figured that if they let the charging system work in mysterious ways there is some benefit in it.
The simple answer, you have the problem not the truck.
UA_Xterra108 likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by early 2010 View Post
The charging system is computer controlled. The regulator takes instructions from the engine controller.
Some really smart person figured that if they let the charging system work in mysterious ways there is some benefit in it.
The simple answer, you have the problem not the truck.
Or maybe my truck has the problem because 10 minutes ago i parked my X infront of the supermarket and when i got back in and started the engine, it sounded like a muscle car carburator engine noise. It woukd start and slowly like die, i had to give a little gas to wake her up.

Upon my return from trucking (5days) i'll change the spark plugs with the wires to start with, if thats not enough i'll change the battery and this coming summer i want to try Seafoam. I heard only good news about this product.

No Road? .. No Problem!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:41 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_Xterra108 View Post
i'll change the spark plugs with the wires to start with, if thats not enough i'll change the battery and this coming summer i want to try Seafoam. I heard only good news about this product.
First off, you have Coil packs, not wires, so that isn't your problem. Secondly, if the Check Engine light isn't on, you don't have an engine problem. SO... how old is the battery? How many miles on your rig? It might be plugs, but they shouldn't need changing until about 100,000 miles. As for Seafoam... well use it at your own risk. I personally won't use it again after an episode with another vehicle I had.
UA_Xterra108 likes this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunnie View Post
First off, you have Coil packs, not wires, so that isn't your problem. Secondly, if the Check Engine light isn't on, you don't have an engine problem. SO... how old is the battery? How many miles on your rig? It might be plugs, but they shouldn't need changing until about 100,000 miles. As for Seafoam... well use it at your own risk. I personally won't use it again after an episode with another vehicle I had.
Well me its in Km, 99 699.

I got my battery less than 2 years.
No i don't have check engine light.

Can you share your experience with SF?

No Road? .. No Problem!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:38 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA_Xterra108 View Post
Well me its in Km, 99 699.

I got my battery less than 2 years.
No i don't have check engine light.

Can you share your experience with SF?
You shouldn't need plugs, that's only 66,000 miles.
As for battery, depends on how many cranking amps it is, what brand (I know Walmart batteries aren't good for more than 2 years, even the ones rated for 4 years) and how corroded the cables may be.

As for SF... it didn't do the engine in my minivan any good. Needed new plugs and some other mechanical work done to it. Mechanic had to do a valve job on it.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunnie View Post
You shouldn't need plugs, that's only 66,000 miles.
As for battery, depends on how many cranking amps it is, what brand (I know Walmart batteries aren't good for more than 2 years, even the ones rated for 4 years) and how corroded the cables may be.

As for SF... it didn't do the engine in my minivan any good. Needed new plugs and some other mechanical work done to it. Mechanic had to do a valve job on it.
I bought it at a Canadian Tire store and it's an Eliminator Battery brand name. the rating on the battery is 640 cca but while testing the battery, it measured 754 cca. Battery gave 13.11V and the result of the test came as "Good Battery"

There's no corrosion on the cables BUT there was some minor acid on the side of the battery where is a small tube which i never asked whats for :/

No Road? .. No Problem!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode