Rear Diff Woes - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Night Armor Xterra

just wanted to say thanks to everyone here that's been trying to help me out; I'm new to this forum and the amount of help and knowledge here is amazing! didnt expect this many people to offer up advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:42 PM
2010 Xterra X 4x4 6MT

Is this a high pitched hum?

After I installed my ARB locker in my rear m226, I had a soft high pitched hum around 45 mph, and it was when I was pressing on the throttle. It turned out we had not set the bearing preload enough, once we cranked it a bit further the hum disappeared, and has not come back in the 2 years since. I've also heard if the pinion preload is not set correctly you'll get the hum as well.

Did you start hearing the hum after you switched tires? So maybe it had been there all the time since the rear diff work but was masked by the mud tires?

*edit* nevermind, didn't read far enough int the thread, sounds like you found the issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:45 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck571 View Post
I'm not entirely sure, it's an 07 SE Automatic and should have whatever came stock on it
Is that 4 wheel drive or 2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Night Armor Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillySpivitz View Post
Is this a high pitched hum?

After I installed my ARB locker in my rear m226, I had a soft high pitched hum around 45 mph, and it was when I was pressing on the throttle. It turned out we had not set the bearing preload enough, once we cranked it a bit further the hum disappeared, and has not come back in the 2 years since. I've also heard if the pinion preload is not set correctly you'll get the hum as well.

Did you start hearing the hum after you switched tires? So maybe it had been there all the time since the rear diff work but was masked by the mud tires?
yeah id say its a medium to high pitched hum almost supercharger like at around 40ish. I did immediately hear the hum after I switched tires and I'm thinking it was masked before when I had the mud ones cuz those were unbearably loud.

In any event, I do want to trust what the shops telling me, but other than the hum, the car drives absolutely flawlessly so I do have my reservations about it. Either way tho, I'm not mechanically inclined enough to figure out the issue myself so I'm just going off of what the shop has told me.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Night Armor Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Is that 4 wheel drive or 2?
Sorry, its a 4x4
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
Dude, bummer to read...any way for a 2nd Opinion? A year & half seems like a lil amount time for a rebuilt?

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:32 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

Nissan rear diffs tend to whine. unless its overly loud i wouldn't worry about it. mine does but not until like 60-80 mph.

bearings i feel like i notice at slower speeds as well as at speed.

confession: i posted this before reading the whole thread.

Last edited by mtnbound; 04-18-2019 at 06:39 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcco View Post
How did they diagnose it? Did you have a bunch of metal in the diff? Same shop that did the re-build?
yeah that is kinda sketchy, sounds like they just want to sell diff's. so they did if for $2k before and now want $3700? umm..no was there any warranty on their work? if it was rebuilt recently and then blew that sounds like shoody work.

i would certainly get another shop to check it out. also, arent rear diffs like $1k or less? why in the world would they quote $3700.
mfast10 likes this.

Last edited by mtnbound; 04-18-2019 at 06:42 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 PM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra S Plus

Searching car-part.com for a 2007 Nissan Xterra Axle Assy Rear with housing you can find the non off road 4x4 3.13 gear ratio C200 that you need in the Jersy city area starting at $400.00 and going up. You may also post a part wanted request here as there may be someone in your area that has switched to a M226 that has a C200 sitting around that they would be happy to get rid of. A shop should charge well under a grand to install one of the used ones so a lot less than what you were quoted. Or there may be some guys around you that will help you install it for pizza and beer.

Click Here for >
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:10 AM
Veteran
2005 Super Black Xterra Off-Road 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTKSHR View Post
Searching car-part.com for a 2007 Nissan Xterra Axle Assy Rear with housing you can find the non off road 4x4 3.13 gear ratio C200 that you need in the Jersy city area starting at $400.00 and going up. You may also post a part wanted request here as there may be someone in your area that has switched to a M226 that has a C200 sitting around that they would be happy to get rid of. A shop should charge well under a grand to install one of the used ones so a lot less than what you were quoted. Or there may be some guys around you that will help you install it for pizza and beer.
This. I would supply them with new ubolts though too.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode