Interior Trim is Flaking - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
2012 Night Armor Xterra X 4x4
 
funkierfawn21`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 140
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinX View Post
BMW was good for this crap too.

And noticed right away when I bought my 2010 Off-Road last week that a few radio buttons had lost their matte finish and had become glossy/shiny/yuk from constant use. (Gonna touch those up with some Testors matte clear.)

Stupid dumb to put paint of any kind on interior surfaces of vehicles. Dumb stupid.
Only have labels and such painted if absolutely necessary. Use true tinted plastics for the color differences!


Now that I wasted everyoneís time with my pointless rant, Iíd say, like others, to pull and paint your messed up pieces.
Use a good plastic primer first, and then you are not limited in color choice or type of paint for the finish coat. Make sure to use a DARK primer, so if there is a nick or scratch it does not show as badly.
If you go with a matte choice, make sure to put a good clear matte topcoat. Itíll be less easy to show scuffs.

Me? Iím painting all the silver crap in the cabin black. Too ďclean-new-euroĒ for me. Iím the weirdo that LOVES the old school look of the original HVAC controls. Lol.
(I also think I like the old nose of our trucks better than the Ď09-> facelift..... Gonna black that crap out too!)

Wow. Huge pointless post count push up DONE!
Sorry to thread-jack a little, but you bought 2010 off-road? Nice!
MartinX likes this.
funkierfawn21` is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
2015 Brilliant Silver Xterra Pro-4X
 
RedBrawnX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinX View Post
BMW was good for this crap too.



And noticed right away when I bought my 2010 Off-Road last week that a few radio buttons had lost their matte finish and had become glossy/shiny/yuk from constant use. (Gonna touch those up with some Testors matte clear.)



Stupid dumb to put paint of any kind on interior surfaces of vehicles. Dumb stupid.

Only have labels and such painted if absolutely necessary. Use true tinted plastics for the color differences!





Now that I wasted everyoneís time with my pointless rant, Iíd say, like others, to pull and paint your messed up pieces.

Use a good plastic primer first, and then you are not limited in color choice or type of paint for the finish coat. Make sure to use a DARK primer, so if there is a nick or scratch it does not show as badly.

If you go with a matte choice, make sure to put a good clear matte topcoat. Itíll be less easy to show scuffs.



Me? Iím painting all the silver crap in the cabin black. Too ďclean-new-euroĒ for me. Iím the weirdo that LOVES the old school look of the original HVAC controls. Lol.

(I also think I like the old nose of our trucks better than the Ď09-> facelift..... Gonna black that crap out too!)



Wow. Huge pointless post count push up DONE!


Yes i agree. Plastidip is a no no for the interior. Iíve used Duplicolor plastic interior trim paint with no issues before. If you do decide to eliminate the silver on the trim - take pics and post them. Curious myself as to what it would look like. Kind of reminds me of my early 2005 i used to own before the later years added the silver paint trim.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MartinX likes this.
RedBrawnX is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
2015 Brilliant Silver Xterra Pro-4X
 
RedBrawnX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by early 2010 View Post
I'm trying to figure what is going on. Pretty sure the color is in the plastic. Molded in, not painted on.

My guess is someone got some used trim pieces (repairing a radio theft perhaps?) and they were the wrong color, so they were painted.


You would think- however that is not the case here for the center radio bezel trim. Everywhere else would be molded in. I purchased this X closed to 3 months ago with 53k miles on it and Iím the second owner. The previous owner saved her home address in the Navigation that when I looked her up - she was a teacher from Savannah, GA. Pretty doubtful she would have replaced it and/or had it painted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MartinX likes this.
RedBrawnX is offline  
 
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:41 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4
 
MartinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Burlington, KY
Posts: 595
Garage
I re-read my ranty post and want to clarify that the “don’t use paint on interior plastics” was referring to the MANUFACTURERS of our beautiful beasts.

(Edited the reply above to add in “manufacturers”.)

It irks me to see scratches in painted plastics that could have easily been molded in color by the oems.


As for US painting our stuff? As I said, I’m gonna paint the silver crap in my 2010. So go for it!
(With proper prep and paint!)

And yeah, @funkierfawn21` , I decided I really wanted my first pick of color and trim. So I went and got one. Lol! A 2010 Night Armor Off Road 5AT.
Gonna be selling my ‘06 in a few months.

Last edited by MartinX; 04-22-2019 at 09:43 PM.
MartinX is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:58 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4
 
MartinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Burlington, KY
Posts: 595
Garage
@RedBrawnX , yep, thatís what Iím going for. A more rugged look. Nissan prettied the damm dash up too much with the facelift.
Iíll try to remember to take pics. Really really bad at it!
And Iíll have a build thread started soon, so I guess that ďmodĒ can go in it.

Good luck on fixing those boo-boos. Hope you get it sorted without too much pain.


And @funkierfawn21` , my poor manners.... Forgot to say thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7A0B3E92-D631-4BD7-A6F9-E1332F8227B6.jpg (59.5 KB, 3 views)
funkierfawn21` likes this.
MartinX is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
2012 Night Armor Xterra X 4x4
 
funkierfawn21`'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 140
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinX View Post
@RedBrawnX , yep, that’s what I’m going for. A more rugged look. Nissan prettied the damm dash up too much with the facelift.
I’ll try to remember to take pics. Really really bad at it!
And I’ll have a build thread started soon, so I guess that “mod” can go in it.

Good luck on fixing those boo-boos. Hope you get it sorted without too much pain.


And @funkierfawn21` , my poor manners.... Forgot to say thank you!
Although mine is 2012 regular X, I am happy I went with the facelift because the pre-2009's (iirc that is the facelift year?), although equally badass and awesome, the interior just felt a little too dated for my liking and friends.

In my opinion, the Frontier and Xterra are probably the only true no-nonsense vehicles out there without any fancy buttons or gadgets like on the new Tacoma and stuff haha

Let the legacy of "everything you need, and nothing you don't" from Nissan in the early 2000's live on


Hope you have a fun time with your new rig, and hopefully, the next owner of your 2006 will take good care of it


funkierfawn21` is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
2015 Brilliant Silver Xterra Pro-4X
 
RedBrawnX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkierfawn21` View Post
Although mine is 2012 regular X, I am happy I went with the facelift because the pre-2009's (iirc that is the facelift year?), although equally badass and awesome, the interior just felt a little too dated for my liking and friends.

In my opinion, the Frontier and Xterra are probably the only true no-nonsense vehicles out there without any fancy buttons or gadgets like on the new Tacoma and stuff haha

Let the legacy of "everything you need, and nothing you don't" from Nissan in the early 2000's live on


Hope you have a fun time with your new rig, and hopefully, the next owner of your 2006 will take good care of it


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AYrMcs2tM
Video link doesn't work. But that slogan " Everything you need - nothing you don't" sure brings back memories from when I first purchased my 2nd Gen 2005 X - S trim in Rochester, NY. Worked well in the snow with the 4x4 option.
funkierfawn21` likes this.
RedBrawnX is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:46 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S
 
General_Tarfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,609
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBrawnX View Post
she was a teacher from Savannah, GA. Pretty doubtful she would have replaced it and/or had it painted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I lived in Savannah for a few years and based on that experience I think it's extremely likely that the radio has been replaced. The crime in that place was unreal.
General_Tarfun is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
2015 Brilliant Silver Xterra Pro-4X
 
RedBrawnX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
I lived in Savannah for a few years and based on that experience I think it's extremely likely that the radio has been replaced. The crime in that place was unreal.


It wasnít reported in the carfax. Came up CLEAN. Had very few records for basic maintenance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedBrawnX is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:35 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4
 
MartinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Burlington, KY
Posts: 595
Garage
@RedBrawnX , vid worked for me but I had to double tap the play button. Lol.

And I still have a MINT condition, only watched once, Official Nissan VHS promo tape from the launch of the 2000 Gen 1.
There was a TV commercial about it and I’m pretty sure a website to order the promo. I don’t know if I did that or maybe gave the dealer my info. I was only up there like 20,000 times drooling over the ONE they had in the showroom.

I lusted after it BAD but was too deep in my ‘91 318is at the time to justify buying a new vehicle. Then, after a few more sports cars, ended up with a ‘03 Disco 2 for a few years..... STILL wanted an X.... Almost got a 1st Gen.....bought an ‘04 Ranger FX4 instead.....

And now here I am. Lol. Two 2nd Gens in a year. Addicted!
funkierfawn21` likes this.

Last edited by MartinX; 04-22-2019 at 09:46 PM.
MartinX is offline  
Reply

  Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clear Coat Flaking Redbrawn06 Exterior 3 12-21-2010 07:47 PM
Rail stickers flaking off... xterrapickles Exterior 7 09-25-2008 09:28 PM
Paint flaking bwarren228 Exterior 20 12-19-2006 11:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome