Worst . Dipstick . Ever . . . - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Worst . Dipstick . Ever . . .

30+ years of various vehicles, lawn mowers, 3 wheelers, cycles, manufacturers, etc..
Never have I experienced such a worthless dipstick.

I may be over full or may be 3qts low, who knows. The damn thing repels oil so half the stick is clean from lo to hi.
I have tried several methods to get a clean reading with no success.
I am thinking about roughing it up with 100grit so the oil sticks to it.

Maybe it's just mine, anyone else experience this?

The tranny dipstick works like a dream, no ambiguity what so ever, not sure why that is so myterious to some what with the careful measuring of what was drained out.

End rant lol
funkierfawn21` likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Be thankful you didn't have a first gen.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

I never check my oil (lol) but my mom's mini cooper had this same problem. She got a different dipstick that had holes it in it so you relied on the surface tension of the oil to fill the hole rather than require the oil to hang on the dipstick. It worked great and was SUPER easy to read. Maybe you should swap out with something like that?

funkierfawn21` likes this.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trip Photos Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Mods first - life later."

Old 04-05-2019, 01:51 PM
Don
2015 Xterra

Yes! I've always hated the dipstick on my Xterra. It is very difficult to get in back in and I nearly kink the thing each time. Toyota sienna van has a dipstick that is even harder to see the oil level. Must of been designed by dipsticks.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:02 PM
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra Off Road

Garage
Roughening up the area between low and full should give you the desired result. I did this to the dipstick on the truck I drove in high school after taping it off and using a bead blasting cabinet.

Click Here for >
Old 04-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra X 6MT 2wd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
I never check my oil (lol) but my mom's mini cooper had this same problem. She got a different dipstick that had holes it in it so you relied on the surface tension of the oil to fill the hole rather than require the oil to hang on the dipstick. It worked great and was SUPER easy to read. Maybe you should swap out with something like that?

Could even drill holes in existing dipstick to make sure itís the right length and save a few bucks.
mtnbound and AlbatrossCafe like this.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Funny that's what I feel about the transmission dip stick, the engine oil one for some reason has never been a problem for me. One trick I learned after never being able to read the trans level was to lay the dipstick on a clean paper towel for a few minutes and then push it back on the towel without lifting it off. That always leaves a nice mark on the towel to see the level.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

I'm a bit OCD and it bugs the hell out of me that I can't tell exactly what the level is when I change the oil.

I'm visualizing that it must lay in there at a sharp angle because no matter how fast I pull it out, the oil had slid of to the edge.

I'll scuff it up or get over it I guess, drilling holes(if done poorly) might be a place for it to snap off.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Funny that's what I feel about the transmission dip stick, the engine oil one for some reason has never been a problem for me. One trick I learned after never being able to read the trans level was to lay the dipstick on a clean paper towel for a few minutes and then push it back on the towel without lifting it off. That always leaves a nice mark on the towel to see the level.
On the trans stick I just pull it, "dry" it off, reinsert, pull it again and see where the glossy liquid starts. It does look clear on the stick so I always check it in the sun light.
The hatch pattern and slightly rough surface holds the fluid in place.
mtnbound likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:26 PM
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Never had an issue reading the level, although it can be tricky to put the dipstick back in.
Brunnie likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in