2008 am I Paying too Much? - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakadian View Post
Awesome thank you , didn't know either of those links existed . So what do you think about the price ? Is it too high?
This is all my opinion.

Negotiate down if the timing chains have not been done. It will cost you at least $1500 for this.

If the rad is original and the timing chains have not been done, I'd walk away. The risk of SMOD is high and the timing chains will have to be done in the near future. That's a lot of money for a 2008. If (and this is a big IF) it is in really really good condition and the rad is original with no bypass, you MIGHT be ok, but know you risk it was affected or will be affected by SMOD.

If the radiator was replaced with the non-problematic models or an aftermarket one and the timing chains have been done, it's is a good price if maintenance has been done (brakes, fluids, etc).

If the radiator is still original but the bypass was done and the vehicle has no shifting issues, coolant is clean, and chains were done, offer 500$ off the price as the rad should be changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
That price is on the low end based on what I've seen lately but I'd caution when buying a used car you should go in with the opposite outlook of assuming everything is ok with it. I replaced my radiator around the mileage of the one you're looking at and never had the smod issue. I replaced the timing chain guides at 147k but that's not a premature failure, just a plastic guide that wore through as designed. BTW when they are in need of replacement it will sound just like a supercharger when accelerating, at idle it will be silent.

That said if it were me I'd check the transmission fluid, pull out the dip stick (held in by a 10mm bolt) and lay it out on a white towel to get a look at the fluid. I'd want to see old fluid IMO, it would look like a very dark red or brown color. Usually when there has been a smod incident the owner will flush and replace that fluid with new so to me at least it's a bad sign given that 99% of people don't even know a transmission uses fluid. Other than that the mileage of that X is about where I started to need to replace parts, nothing crazy just wear items, u-joints, suspension stuff, etc. but if you know how to wrench it's not that expensive to do.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:54 PM
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

What part of the VIN denotes Trim level?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran
2006 & 2009 Red Brawn & Navy Blue Xterra OR's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR View Post
What part of the VIN denotes Trim level?
Unfortunately not that simple... you need to do as described here earlier in the thread:
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/4281800-post8.html

Decode the VIN to get the model number, or get the model from the GVWR sticker in the door jamb.

Then once you have the model, use this thread to determine the trim level:
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-gene...-decoding.html
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Remember too, packages were available on top of all trim levels.

For example, you could see an X trim with more options than you thought it should have due to either dealer add ons or factory promotions.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode