** The What Parts Not to Buy Thread (And to Buy Too) ** - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

** The What Parts Not to Buy Thread (And to Buy Too) **

Have you bought parts for your X and figured out the hard way it didn't perform as well as you expected? Share it here and save someone else a dime!

List last updated on 3/25/19

What not to buy list:

Moog K200347 Stabilizer Bar Bushings

Moog K80471 and K80470 Stabilizer Bar Links (problems were only noticeable towing)

Permatex 24110 green caliper grease

2" in coil spacer lift

Mevotech front sway bar end links

Shims before the leaf springs got to settle

Rockauto Titan length half shafts

Dorman tpms sensors

Moog tire rod ends

OEM only list (because we haven't found an aftermarket that works as good):

Fan Clutch
Thermostat
Radiator and degassing (reservoir tank) caps
Water pump
Tie rod ends
Front wheel hubs
Spark plug coil packs
Cam position sensors
Crank position sensor
Titan length half shafts don't bind.

Last edited by Longboardr; 03-25-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I installed Moog K200347 Stabilizer Bar Bushings (sway bar rubber bushings) and noticed an occasional unplanted feeling that took away confidence at highway speeds. I talked about it in this thread. I went back the OEM and it solved the problem.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.

Last edited by Longboardr; 03-25-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I installed Moog K80471 and K80470 Stabilizer Bar Links (sway bar end links) and they worked fine for maybe 3-4 months, greaseable, what's not to like? Then I noticed sway towing that wasn't happening with my old OEM end links. Just replaced them with new OEM this week and got to tow today, the X is back where it was. I'm not saying OEM is the only way to go, they're expensive, but if you tow don't waste your money on these Moogs!

Last edited by Longboardr; 03-25-2019 at 03:27 PM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Last one I can think of today was Permatex 24110 green caliper grease. I'd have been better off running dry than using this stuff, one caliper pin has rubber on it and the Permatex would swell it to the point where it wouldn't move. I got lucky and General_Tarfun told me he had the same problem in this thread.
jcco likes this.

Carpe lardum

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 PM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

My 2" in coil spacer lift was the worst single purchase I've made for my truck. They ruined the ride and really only got me about 1.25" of lift. Disappointing in every way.

This isn't really a product, but I've now run accessory wiring from the battery on my truck 3 times. A combination of not knowing what I was doing (the first time) and not planning for the future (the second time) mean't I've put way more time, effort, and money in than I should have. Do the research, ask questions, figure out what you want to do in the future, and plan the project around that. You can always overbuild an electrical system, but underbuilding it, or doing it wrong, means you'll eventually have to tear it back out.
KnightArmorX likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:19 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Aftermarket Fan Clutch. OEM or don't bother.

Edit @Longboardr You are going to have to start a list that is in the first post of this thread. Otherwise, we will all have to read every post.... which would suck. BTW Great idea for a thread!
Old Navy, BCBrian and KnightArmorX like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Last edited by IM1RU; 03-24-2019 at 09:21 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:14 AM
2006 Super Black Xterra X 6MT 2WD

Garage
Mevotech front sway bar end links. Should have realized they were sub par when installing didnít require a second wrench to hold on place. This meant that rather then the ball rotating when the suspension cycles going over a bump, the nut and threaded piece were twisting against the sway at causing a nasty sound.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:46 AM
Senior Member / (Q4WC) Club Moderator
2013 Silver Lightning ❌terra TS/LCKD/4.10 33's S

Garage
for the folks outside of the US and Canada, if looking to do major upgrades (titan swap etc) go directly to the individual suppliers for parts. Ordering a SET just doesn't work.
You far far away and returning incorrect parts cost a fortune. You will land up paying a lot less if you simply do it yourself.
This is from experience with 3 major suppliers. I'll not mention them...Ö Ste.....

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

Thermostat, water pump, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, spark plug coils, and cam/crank sensors are other things I've read a lot of failures with non-oem. Personally I couldn't tell you much from experience. I pretty much always buy the parts recommended by the people I trust here, when I can afford it, and haven't had to do much twice.

Great ideas, making this thread and adding a summary list in the first post. It could save people a lot of money and frustration.
Brunnie and TerryD like this.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid -
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Putting me to work, I see how it is...

Carpe lardum

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in