285/75/r16 Tires Could Cause Rollover - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
2012 Night Armor Xterra X 4x4

Garage
285/75/r16 Tires Could Cause Rollover

Hey!

Summer is here soon, and like many people here do I see is get 285/75/R16 tires.

I currently have 245/75/R16 Duratracs which are awesome, but I will use them mainly for winter.

I have been planning to get these BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO2 Tire's, https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires...p.2086898.html

However, the manual says the Xterra could roll over.

Is it really that big of a deal if the tire is one or two inches bigger than factory spec? I see many FJ's, Jeeps, and Taco's with tires that seem to be much bigger than stock. So Xterra should be ok too right?

I know fuel economy degrades, and the speedometer becomes inaccurate and the Xterra becomes slower, but to rollover seems like I would need tires 6-10 inches bigger, 1 or 2 inches bigger seems to be silly.

p.s
i have 4 rims for winter and another 4 rims for summer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roll.jpg (106.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: png rim.png (203.8 KB, 315 views)

Last edited by funkierfawn21`; 04-15-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:43 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra X Base

Bigger tires could lead to rollover?

And boobs can lead to motorboating

they’re both fun tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave940, GPD605X, dr99 and 5 others like this.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Pemberton View Post
Bigger tires could lead to rollover?

And boobs can lead to motorboating

they’re both fun tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh ok so maximum I should get is Pro-4x size 32"?

the 245's I have currently are 30.5" and are even smaller than factory regular S I believe they are 30.8-31.1ish, which makes me feel like I'm missing out on the fun

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:14 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

man 245's! someone must have been trying to squeeze some fuel economy out of it... or something idk lol

I'd be most trucks/ suv's have multiple disclaimers about the increased possibility of rollovers. i mena, heck its already more likely to rollover than just about any car.

bigger tires will raise the center of gravity, which will result in it being more top heavy and yes, more likely to roll.

you might even feel alittle more tipsy in the turns...... that said, i dont think anyone on this site has rolled their x, not that i remember at least, and most of us have larger than stock tires.
funkierfawn21` likes this.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Some random dude
2006 Solar Yellow ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
The Xterra is already a narrow(ish), high vehicle. If you turn to fast, it will roll over (mine even has a sticker on the sun shade to say so...). While it would be a contributing factor, I would be hesitant to say that going to a bigger tire will make that much of a difference in whether your vehicle will roll over, and most of the people who do increase the tire size generally know what they are getting into.

If you are scared of changing your tires to prevent rollover, you will want to avoid a good number of mods that the guys here do on this site, such as suspension lift, or rear tire carrier, or steel drop-in roof rack, as all of those lift your center of gravity and increase the chances of the vehicle tipping. In fact, loading things on the roof rack will increase the chance of rolling.
bluez and Leonard4X4 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
man 245's! someone must have been trying to squeeze some fuel economy out of it... or something idk lol

I'd be most trucks/ suv's have multiple disclaimers about the increased possibility of rollovers. i mena, heck its already more likely to rollover than just about any car.

bigger tires will raise the center of gravity, which will result in it being more top heavy and yes, more likely to roll.

you might even feel alittle more tipsy in the turns...... that said, i dont think anyone on this site has rolled their x, not that i remember at least, and most of us have larger than stock tires.
Yea the previous owner did rrreeaallllyy looong road trips and not much off-roading, but I am more so the opposite of that.

Sure the tires are good, but 245's man dam. Barely taller than a murano or rav4, which gives me small brain farts lol
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:32 PM
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Raising CG height with larger tires and especially a lift will increase chance of rolliever, same scenario. However, provided you don't drive like an idiot and use your head, it'd be unlikely.
funkierfawn21` likes this.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:34 PM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Stop over-thinking things, slap those things on, and send it! In all seriousness, the tires won't cause a roll over, incorrect mauevering and cornering procedures will.
Dave940, BCBrian, Jayrat and 10 others like this.

R. Long
Build Thread-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SoCal Club Xterra -->
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:43 PM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

Personally I dont worry about such things. The awesomeness of big tires offsets any reservation I have about negative impacts.

Life is too short to drive with small tires.

Btw Crappytire has a sale on Goodyear Duratracs.. $60 cheaper per tire than the BFGs...
mtnbound likes this.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:47 PM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

p.s
please post a pic of the xterra with 245's. never seen that before. theyd be the same height as the stock 265 65 70 of the SE but 1.5 " skinnier...

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode