Why is my X Squirrely when Driving at Higher Speeds on the Highway? - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:19 PM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Sound alot like when my alignment got messed up and both front tires were slightly toe'd out. Definitely get that fixed before putting new tires on it so they don't get messed up too.
Thanks, I plan on getting new tires and driving straight to an alignment shop. I want the new square tires on before they align it. Not the ones that are more worn on one side.

Hoping discount comes out with that coupon soon for ebay. I plan on getting a set of the new Continental Terrain Contacts.

FYI for others, new OEM swaybar bushings took away about 60% of the wandering - twitchy feeling.
RedBrawnX likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by satown210 View Post

FYI for others, new OEM swaybar bushings took away about 60% of the wandering - twitchy feeling.
It's nuts how big of a difference replacing those bushings can have, I started replacing them annually a few years ago because of that. Normally they shrink over time but a couple weeks ago when I replaced them they were swollen. Still trying to figure that one out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:17 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
It's nuts how big of a difference replacing those bushings can have, I started replacing them annually a few years ago because of that. Normally they shrink over time but a couple weeks ago when I replaced them they were swollen. Still trying to figure that one out.

Assuming they're some form of rubber it all depends on what they came in contact with. I had rubber brake piston seals on a new to me bike that had swollen to the point of seizing the piston, likely from the PO using DOT 5 instead of DOT 4. I cleaned everything up and waited a week for new parts to come in. By that time the old rubber pieces had shrank back down to stock size. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes and parts I'd never have believed it.

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:20 PM
2006 Red Brawn Xterra Off Road

I'm intrigued/skeptical. Two $4.86 parts will fix squirly? Seems like serious bang for the buck and lets me replace more parts.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...613-zl10a.html
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:02 PM
Veteran

Garage
It's not going to fix a bad alignment or worn out tie rods but assuming everything else is mostly ok then yeah it should reduce the squirrelly feeling quite a bit.

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
2015 Brilliant Silver Xterra Pro-4X

My question for you all that are experiencing similar issues... is it only the X that seems to be sharing a common occurance with this or are other SUV/TRUCKS out their having the same issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Nissan Xterra S - Red Brawn (Sold)
2012 Nissan Xterra PRO 4X - Lava Red (Sold)
2011 Nissan Pathfinder LE - Super Black
2015 Nissan Xterra PRO 4X - Brilliant Silver
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:31 PM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Some have the death wobble, luckily we don't.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
2015 Brilliant Silver Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
That's crazy!

2005 Nissan Xterra S - Red Brawn (Sold)
2012 Nissan Xterra PRO 4X - Lava Red (Sold)
2011 Nissan Pathfinder LE - Super Black
2015 Nissan Xterra PRO 4X - Brilliant Silver
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBrawnX View Post
My question for you all that are experiencing similar issues... is it only the X that seems to be sharing a common occurance with this or are other SUV/TRUCKS out their having the same issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen people complain about it a lot on forums of other short wheelbase SUVs, FJs, Jeeps, etc. so I don't it's an Xterra specific issue. I think to a degree it's unavoidable with a shorter wheelbase, it will never feel as stable as anything with more distance between the axles.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:22 PM
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Quote:
You would if caster was way out of whack...easier to do with 4 link SFA and short factory lower control arms @ higher angles (ie lifted). It would be difficult on IFS though.

I got lucky in never experiencing that with my 5.5" lift on the ZJ 5.9 used to own...did get adj lower CA's though, but still.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode