Why is my X Squirrely when Driving at Higher Speeds on the Highway? - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I really like what switching to poly front sway bar bushings (from PRG, including mounts) did for handling. Feels tighter and quicker, more precise, and responsive. Tracks straight except on bad, uneven roads. Ditto with poly steering rack bushings (superpro from OffroadGorilla). Steering response is quick, quiet, and firm. Makes the Xterra feel a little more like a sedan except for the ride height. And when I finally replaced the front shocks, that got rid of most of the rest of the vibes and shuddering over bumps.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:17 PM
2005 Night Armor Xterra S

For what it's worth before I upgraded suspension (OME Complete Kit) my truck felt very unstable at speeds and going around corners. Even getting on and off the interstate ramps the truck felt "loose" and unstable... a lot of body roll. If I hit any kind of bump you could feel the truck roll a little or rear end wash/bottom out a bit...very unsettling. Mind you I had 130K miles on what I believe was original suspension so it was beat....leaf springs were flat as pancakes. After I upgraded to stiffer suspension it now drives and handles like a BOSS !!! I feel super confident driving the X now (with stiffer upgraded suspension) and nothing really bothers me in it... just my 2 cents.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
2015 Brilliant Silver Xterra Pro-4X

Thanks for all of your responses. For some reason TapaTalk did not notify me of new updated posts to my thread. I have new tires on the truck at the moment. 33's which are Trac Grip M/T Thunderer 285/75 R16's on all four corners. It's hard to remember if I felt any difference from two years ago when I added 33's on my 2012 PRO-4X. But I will say that the rear end does feel loose sometimes when getting off exit ramps and such when slowing down from a higher speed. I will look into everything that you have have suggested. I am not looking into spending too much money since we are currently renovating our home at the moment and a lot of $$ is going into the house we just purchased. Other than that I will start with the PSI in the tires and go from there.
Adam12SD likes this.

2005 Nissan Xterra S - Red Brawn (Sold)
2012 Nissan Xterra PRO 4X - Lava Red (Sold)
2011 Nissan Pathfinder LE - Super Black
2015 Nissan Xterra PRO 4X - Brilliant Silver

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:42 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBrawnX View Post
Thanks for all of your responses. For some reason TapaTalk did not notify me of new updated posts to my thread. I have new tires on the truck at the moment. 33's which are Trac Grip M/T Thunderer 285/75 R16's on all four corners. It's hard to remember if I felt any difference from two years ago when I added 33's on my 2012 PRO-4X. But I will say that the rear end does feel loose sometimes when getting off exit ramps and such when slowing down from a higher speed. I will look into everything that you have have suggested. I am not looking into spending too much money since we are currently renovating our home at the moment and a lot of $$ is going into the house we just purchased. Other than that I will start with the PSI in the tires and go from there.
So YOURE the one that bought the last set! Haha. I went to order these exact rubbers in that size and they were sold out.

Any chance you've a photo with the new tires? I'm curious how they'll look on mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam12SD View Post
So YOURE the one that bought the last set! Haha. I went to order these exact rubbers in that size and they were sold out.

Any chance you've a photo with the new tires? I'm curious how they'll look on mine.

I actually purchased the tires back in Jan earlier this year and received them on Jan 25th. I know they had several more in stock. I also bumped into another X in a parking lot at Harbor Freight with the same tires in which I took a pic.
IMG_9486.jpgIMG_9488.jpgIMG_9492.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam12SD likes this.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

More pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9490.jpg (50.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8971.jpg (62.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8973.jpg (118.5 KB, 12 views)
Adam12SD likes this.

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:59 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Yep, totes ordering them once they get back in stock. I've heard nothing but really good reviews for them being as low price as they are. Looks great on the X, too.

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

I've got something very similar going on except mine even happens at low speeds. Feels like the X catches every groove in the road and uneven road surface. It feels like someone is yanking the steering wheel back and forth. I replaced my sway bar bushings last night. I knew my tires were around 30% tread left. When I got under it I noticed the inside of the front tires were pretty well worn. Sounds like new tires and an alignment will probably get it feeling right again.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by satown210 View Post
I've got something very similar going on except mine even happens at low speeds. Feels like the X catches every groove in the road and uneven road surface. It feels like someone is yanking the steering wheel back and forth. I replaced my sway bar bushings last night. I knew my tires were around 30% tread left. When I got under it I noticed the inside of the front tires were pretty well worn. Sounds like new tires and an alignment will probably get it feeling right again.
Sound alot like when my alignment got messed up and both front tires were slightly toe'd out. Definitely get that fixed before putting new tires on it so they don't get messed up too.
Adam12SD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Will check into the alignment as well. The truck drives pretty straight though when letting go of the steering wheel. It's worth a look. Thanks.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode