Has there Been a Consensus on the Best Stock Bumper Winch Mount? - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 02:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2007 Avalanche White ❌terra S-TSWAP

Send a message via Skype™ to Chase5Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
if found a good deal on a bumper is it gonna make my front sag a lot?
Depends on the size of the winch also and steel of synthetic, but yeah it'll sag a bit and you will get noticeable nose dive when braking. I got this before i even put a winch in my shrock

Click Here for my Build >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
2012 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase5Hart View Post
Quote:
if found a good deal on a bumper is it gonna make my front sag a lot?
Depends on the size of the winch also and steel of synthetic, but yeah it'll sag a bit and you will get noticeable nose dive when braking. I got this before i even put a winch in my shrock
what do people do to fix this? or is it not a big deal?
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 03:42 PM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

Quote:
There are several things to do.

You could go with an aluminum bumper, which shaves 2/3 of the weight off.
You could go with synthetic winch line which reduces a lot of weight.
You could upgrade your front suspension, which can nix both of the above and free you up to install whatever you like. Plus it lets you lift, get better road manners etc.

Or you can learn to deal with the nose dive. This option will eventually lead to replacing the front suspension anyway, though.

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples491 View Post
Quote:
There are several things to do.

You could go with an aluminum bumper, which shaves 2/3 of the weight off.
You could go with synthetic winch line which reduces a lot of weight.
You could upgrade your front suspension, which can nix both of the above and free you up to install whatever you like. Plus it lets you lift, get better road manners etc.

Or you can learn to deal with the nose dive. This option will eventually lead to replacing the front suspension anyway, though.
what do you mean exactly by switching the front suspension? i know it came with SPC control arms
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
what do you mean exactly by switching the front suspension? i know it came with SPC control arms
You would generally need stiffer coil overs to handle the increased weight. The stock coil overs are, I believe, 450lbs. Most people upgrade to either 600lbs or 650lbs. All of the options that give you stiffer springs also provide lift in the front, so keep that in mind.

As an example, I have a Hefty Aluminum bumper (~75lbs), an Engo 10k winch with synthetic line (~80lbs), and Radflo coil overs rated at 600lb. I think it's just about right, but some people who like stiffer suspension would say it's too soft.

If you have SPC control arms, is it possible you already have upgraded coil overs?
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
You would generally need stiffer coil overs to handle the increased weight. The stock coil overs are, I believe, 450lbs. Most people upgrade to either 600lbs or 650lbs. All of the options that give you stiffer springs also provide lift in the front, so keep that in mind.

As an example, I have a Hefty Aluminum bumper (~75lbs), an Engo 10k winch with synthetic line (~80lbs), and Radflo coil overs rated at 600lb. I think it's just about right, but some people who like stiffer suspension would say it's too soft.

If you have SPC control arms, is it possible you already have upgraded coil overs?
i believe it has nissan blisteins stil. i’ll have to check. coil overs are shocks + spring correct?
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
i believe it has nissan blisteins stil. iíll have to check. coil overs are shocks + spring correct?
Correct. Interesting that the upper control arms were upgraded but not the shocks. Is there a spacer on it?
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
i believe it has nissan blisteins stil. i’ll have to check. coil overs are shocks + spring correct?
Correct. Interesting that the upper control arms were upgraded but not the shocks. Is there a spacer on it?
i think so because it’s not stock height. what do people normally upgrade to? i just checked they say nissan blistein
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
i think so because itís not stock height. what do people normally upgrade to? i just checked they say nissan blistein
Oh man, that's a loaded question. You may want to look through the suspension section on this forum and start looking at the various options.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM
2005 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Or post up a couple photos of your upper control arms and coilovers and rear leaf springs here. Might be able to tell you what you have.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode