Miss-matched Gear Issue? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
2007 Lightning Silver Xterra 4x4

Garage
Miss-matched Gear Issue?

Hi all, I am in the process of swapping out my front diff to titan m205 3.36 with v8 pathy axles. And rear m226 3.36 with locker. Front is done and the rear axle was wrong one so I am waiting on correct axle. Shop said should be ok to drive with 3.36 front and my stock existing rear 3.19 . As long as in 2wd. I got about 3 miles from the shop going about 60 and heard strange noise on acceleration. As I slowed to side of road hear loud clunk in front and grinding. Smelled some gear oil. Shop guys came and drove it fwd a little and made a clunk and said let’s tow back. They had to put it in neutral and lift front wheels to slowly pull it to area to turn it around so they could pick it up by back wheels and tow back. The got a few feet and rear tires locked up. Figured out how to get behind it lift rear and towed back. Waiting on diagnosis. Did I just destroy transfer case? I thought miss matched gears be ok as long as in 2wd.....thnx for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

A mismatch would not matter in 2wd. Best of luck with whatever the problem is.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:05 PM
2005 Red Brawn Xterra S 4x4

Garage
There are smarter people than me on here and I'm sure they will comment with more detail (and correct me where I may be wrong)... but here's something I learned recently that surprised me. In our cars, when the front wheels are spinning, the CV axles are spinning, which means the diff gears are spinning, which means the front drive shaft is spinning. This is true whether the car is in 2wd or 4wd. The only difference is when in 4wd, everything is spinning because the transfer case engages the engine power rather than momentum, as is the case in 2wd. I assume the assumption that it was safe to drive in 2wd with mismatched gears was based on the incorrect notion that if you are not in 4wd, then the the front diff is static and not moving.

Last edited by maytawn; 11-02-2018 at 03:16 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Did you open and inspect that new front diff before installing? It might have been damaged if the donor vehicle took a hard hit to a front wheel. I wouldn’t be surprised if you have a grenaded front diff due to s cracked case, or gear, or bent stub shaft etc from donor vehicle collision. Did you look under when you smelled gear oil? Running out of cracked ft diff?

Support small businesses that support us! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytawn View Post
There are smarter people than me on here and I'm sure they will comment with more detail (and correct me where I may be wrong)... but here's something I learned recently that surprised me. In our cars, when the front wheels are spinning, the CV axles are spinning, which means the diff gears are spinning, which means the front drive shaft is spinning. This is true whether the car is in 2wd or 4wd. The only difference is when in 4wd, everything is spinning because the transfer case engages the engine power rather than momentum, as is the case in 2wd. I assume the assumption that it was safe to drive in 2wd with mismatched gears was based on the incorrect notion that if you are not in 4wd, then the the front diff is static and not moving.
It still shouldn't matter because the front output in the transfercase isn't connected to the input shaft.

Were you smelling gear oil or ATF? The two having different ratios shouldn't have affected the rear axle in any way. If anything was going to be damaged, it would have been the t-case or CVs I would think.

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So it’s possible I messed up the front diff also? Or what issues arise from different gear ratios but not in 4wd?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Nothing leaking on ground
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytawn View Post
Think of our transfer case as a locker. When it's engaged the front driveshaft and the rear driveshaft are "locked", they need to spin at the same speed. It's along the same lines as the rear wheels need to spin at the same speed when the rear diff locker is locked.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Shop said yesterday that no metal was on front diff magnet and oil looked good but they changed oil as standard anyway.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry , smelled like gear oil

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode