DIY - Traction/Tread Mat Roof Rack Holders - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By LVX
  • 1 Post By LVX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
LVX
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

DIY - Traction/Tread Mat Roof Rack Holders

I wasn't sure which sub-forum to post this, but here's a cheap and effective solution for mounting your traction/tread mats (e.g., MaxTraxx, etc.) to your roof rack. The whole setup was less than $20.

Anyway, I was looking for a better way to mount my traction mats to my roof rack, instead of strapping them down, etc. So, I went to Lowe's and picked up four 10" steel mending straps, four bolts (1/4" x 4") and four 1/4" Hillman spin knobs. The washers & locking washers I already had laying around:

For reference, I have this roof rack setup - https://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-ext...roof-rack.html

Next, I drilled four holes through my traction mats (I have two sets, so 4 pieces in total) with them stacked on top of each other. These pictures don't show them on my roof rack, but I think you'll get the idea (I don't keep them on the roof rack full-time, I only put them up there when I'm ready to go off-roading). The lower steel mending straps go under any of the roof rack "beams." Simply use the spinning knobs to hand-tighten and you're good to go. Super easy, quick and cheap!

eighty likes this.

Visit my blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LVX; 07-13-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Veteran
2015 Stormtrooper White Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Where did you get the cheap traction mats and how much did you pay? I have the same set for helping recover people who cant pull out of parking lots in the winter. I own a few sets of maxtrax but there is no way Im sticking them down under joe blow schmuckatelli's car for a urban recovery, as they think "hit the gas hard and stay on it until your out". That is why I bought these. They are flat, fit lengthwise across the back storage area of the X and are cheap... well use to be. My first set was $30, but now I see them at $50, and they have several points melted off, the edges have paint down them (from being tossed out from the drive wheels when the lady or moron man guns it when they start to roll. I sometimes will just pull a car out, but most the time cars don't have a recovery point and I'm scared to death that they will run into the rear of me. And that is what promoted buying these cheap little boards.

I have a alert on camelcamelcamel.com to notify me the next time they hit $40 as I'm in no hurry to replace them for helping others. Just curious if you got them cheaper. After using these and Maxtrax, I would suggest saving up for something better if you ever plan to use them yourself. There are decent knock offs of quality traction boards (maxtrax and treds), such as X-bull and Maxsa, if your relying on these, save up a little more, after using both, you will be thankful.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zball94- Plastic dip. It sucks how little rocks on the road rip it right off, but it clings like a butt nugget when you try to remove it purposely.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
LVX
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolup View Post
Where did you get the cheap traction mats and how much did you pay? I have the same set for helping recover people who cant pull out of parking lots in the winter. I own a few sets of maxtrax but there is no way Im sticking them down under joe blow schmuckatelli's car for a urban recovery, as they think "hit the gas hard and stay on it until your out". That is why I bought these. They are flat, fit lengthwise across the back storage area of the X and are cheap... well use to be. My first set was $30, but now I see them at $50, and they have several points melted off, the edges have paint down them (from being tossed out from the drive wheels when the lady or moron man guns it when they start to roll. I sometimes will just pull a car out, but most the time cars don't have a recovery point and I'm scared to death that they will run into the rear of me. And that is what promoted buying these cheap little boards.

I have a alert on camelcamelcamel.com to notify me the next time they hit $40 as I'm in no hurry to replace them for helping others. Just curious if you got them cheaper. After using these and Maxtrax, I would suggest saving up for something better if you ever plan to use them yourself. There are decent knock offs of quality traction boards (maxtrax and treds), such as X-bull and Maxsa, if your relying on these, save up a little more, after using both, you will be thankful.
I bought two sets of these off Amazon (there are two per set) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been real happy with them. They're made from a semi-flexible plastic, so they don't break easily. I've had them for about a year-and-a-half and have used them multiple times. And, for the price, whenever they do finally breakdown, I'll order another set.
mtnbound likes this.

Visit my blog -

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in