Detaching Sway Bar for Off Roading - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2007 Avalanche White ❌terra S-TSWAP

Send a message via Skype™ to Chase5Hart
@Surf and Snow same guy that didn't know about the diff fluid amount in aftermarket diffs when people that actually use them mention too much will blow the axle seals, simple case of someone who doesn't know the X, like yeah buddy good luck getting them out of the way.

@Ezdaar and fyi I cut mine because it was seized and that was the easiest way smart stuff, also i never planned on putting it back; I've bent the mount on the LCA wheeling so i couldn't even if I wanted to

Click Here for my Build >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezdaar View Post
Thos is fuking funny!

Simple as unbolt the endlinks from lower arm, on both sides.
Zip tie the endlinks and bar up as you can..

Done and done..

Cutting parts is fooking noob shot.

Work smart, not hard, be smarter than the part.

Some ppl are... wel.. dumb...
The bar is between the TREs and the LCAs. You can't pull it up out of the way and the suspension will articulate enough that you'll be putting stress on the TREs which side loads your steering rack and can cause damage to it. It's pull the bar off or leave it hooked up on these.
Chase5Hart likes this.

Mildly Demented...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:49 AM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I run without sways. The rear is pretty pointless but the front can make some difference. Iím not sure Iíd run without the front on a stock suspension though personally. I do it with 650lb springs and get no body roll so itís pretty nice and I regularly use it responding to calls quite fast. I will say that the benefits off-roading are huge though with them off. It just takes getting use to on road.
BCBrian likes this.

Nissan Off-Roaders of the SouthEast (N.O.R.S.E.), Virginia Xterra Club (VAXC)
OverlandBound member #16797 "Adventr-X" Adventure is necessary.

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezdaar View Post
Yawn. Unbolt the bitch,zip,it out of suspension range and party on.
It doesn’t work on these trucks. You don’t get it. You think you know it all, but on these trucks you can’t do that. Look at this pic. To swing it out of the way it then goes way forward and hits the wheel and tire. Go outside and try it. I HAVE. It doesn’t work. I have personally tried it on my Xterra. Have you?

Support small businesses that support us! -

Last edited by Surf and Snow; 05-18-2018 at 01:06 AM.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:18 AM
Veteran
2011 Metallic Green Xterra Pro-4X

Just ditch the rear. There is still some back and forth on this but if you do any type of serious off-road, those hangers will become fubar and you won't be able to use it anyway. Or it will become fused to your rig. Performace wise, that thing does very little. It is a pretty light bar to begin with. If you so desire, you can safely take it off at home, drive to your trail, and put it back on when you return. However, you may not be able to get it back on...

Don't take the front off. That being said, early on in my X off-road trail days, I had to replace end links all the time because they would break while flexing. So, you can control the vehicle on a stock(ish) setup with a bad end link but it isn't advised. Fix them if they break and check them after your trail days. You could disconnect one end link to get a bit more flex. They are just a pain in the ass to take on and off.

I did run no sway bars with 650# radflos. People still advise against this. I can see both sides.

Titan swapped + aftermarket coils + upgraded rear springs... almost no one runs them.
Zack likes this.

Quote:
Like Linux, the Windows phone, and Battlestar Gallactica, the Xterra is the third mutt in a two-dog fight, and owners take a certain amount of twisted, against-the-grain pride in running something without a Jeep or Toyota badge on the hood.
Click Here for >
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:18 AM
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

On road, I would keep both sways bars on. Although many say they don't see the need for rear sway bars, there has to be a reason why they are not on Frontiers but still on Xterra, and Nissan loves to remove features. I would imagine during emergency swerving, it would keep it from flipping over.
I also heard through the grapevine that the sway bar keeps the rear tires from rubbing on the frame.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:03 AM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

I've been running no sway bars front or rear for years. It's my DD, and I tow with it. Do I get body roll? Yes. If I dump it into a corner do I get the slip light? Yes. Answer? Don't dump it into a corner, it ain't a race car. To each their own.

Now that I'm Titan Swapped I get even more body roll, but very rarely do I get the slip light. Fact is, Sway Bars inhibit flex off road... a lot, and removal of them is probably the best mod I've ever done, and it was free. Further, removal of the front Sway Bar made the biggest difference of the two off road.

Moral of the story is, do what you feel best about. But like Surf said, on these trucks, disconnecting and running that way is not possible. The choices are, "run what ya brung", or take them off. I'm firmly in the camp of take them off, and I prefer the way it handles on the road too.
BCBrian likes this.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 11:42 AM
2013 Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf and Snow View Post
It doesnít work on these trucks. You donít get it. You think you know it all, but on these trucks you canít do that. Look at this pic. To swing it out of the way it then goes way forward and hits the wheel and tire. Go outside and try it. I HAVE. It doesnít work. I have personally tried it on my Xterra. Have you?
He's got a 2wd lowered SUV that he purposely runs lean on occasion. No one should take his advice, ever.

KE0KQL/AG
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran
2013 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X, 6MT

Garage
I have a stock-suspensioned DD that I removed the rear sway bar. Never noticed any difference in the way it drives. I actually forgot I removed until I saw this thread. I'm a super conservative driver and certainly don't drive it fast in corners.. I may remove the front once I upgrade my suspension.

Runners .... yeah, we're different

post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:48 AM
Veteran
2010 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Garage
So, are we safe to remove a endlink from either side without causing adverse effects and still increasing wheel travel?

SPC UCA's|Ext. Radflo 2.0's|Bilstein 5165's|DAAL|HeftyFab sliders

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode