Out of Control Xterra - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2015 Xterra Pro4-X

Out of Control Xterra

This is the first time I have seen an "Unintended Acceleration" on an Xterra.

Woman's SUV speeds out of control in Mercer Island - seattlepi.com

Whenever I hear about these things one thought pops into my mind: WHY DON'T THESE IDIOTS SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION TO NEUTRAL?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Veteran
2011 Knight Armour Frontier SV

Garage
Quote:
911 operators eventually advised her to turn off the SUV's ignition using the key.
It seems like common sense to me that this is what you try before calling 911. And shifting to neutral. It's kinda like that "try turning it off then on" approach.

Hell, when I was 16 about a month after I got my license I got the pedal stuck under the floor mat in my mom's volvo, (flooring it off a stop light as 16 year olds do) and I was smart enough to throw it in neutral and shut it off after about 15 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XterraPA View Post
Push the pointy thing down into the round hole and then put a spinny thing on it hold it there.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:57 PM
2006 Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoX View Post
Whenever I hear about these things one thought pops into my mind: WHY DON'T THESE IDIOTS SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION TO NEUTRAL?"
Shock, surprise, unable to react or think clearly in an emergency, not knowing how a vehicle really works outside of the normal park, drive, reverse, lock, unlock, brake and steer.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 PM
2012 Metallic Green Xterra Pro-4X

Common sense is a dying trait in the human race. Hard to understand why emergency procedures aren't drilled nto new drivers.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:22 PM
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra X

Garage
Isn't shutting off the ignition a really bad idea? You lose power steering and brakes. Much better to shift to neutral, feather the ebrake to a stop, then hope you can kill your ignition before your motor blows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran
2011 Knight Armour Frontier SV

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonX View Post
Isn't shutting off the ignition a really bad idea? You lose power steering and brakes. Much better to shift to neutral, feather the ebrake to a stop, then hope you can kill your ignition before your motor blows.
I don't remember that being a concern at the time.
Jayrat likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XterraPA View Post
Push the pointy thing down into the round hole and then put a spinny thing on it hold it there.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoX View Post
This is the first time I have seen an "Unintended Acceleration" on an Xterra.

Woman's SUV speeds out of control in Mercer Island - seattlepi.com

I always wonder the same thing. I had a Honda Prelude do that to me a long time ago and my first reaction was to grab the key, turn it off and brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonX View Post
You don't lose the brakes, you lose the power brakes so it's just harder to press them. The ebrake is direct cable in ours so no need for the truck to be running to use it.

Last edited by General_Tarfun; 08-14-2017 at 05:19 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 06:14 PM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra PRO-4X AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootXterra View Post
...not knowing how a vehicle really works outside of the normal park, drive, reverse, lock, unlock, brake and steer.
This. Although you can cross out "reverse" in quite a few cases as well.

It's both sad and terrifying really.

KDJ | Ottawa, Canada
2015 Xterra PRO-4X 5AT |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 2009 Frontier SE-V6 4X4 6MT (
)
Lone Leaf Photography |
|
|

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:06 PM
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
I always wonder the same thing. I had a Honda Prelude do that to me a long time ago and my first reaction was to grab the key, turn it off and brake.

You don't lose the brakes, you lose the power brakes so it's just harder to press them. The ebrake is direct cable in ours so no need for the truck to be running to use it.
You should have enough pressure in the lines for one more power brake. And if you hold the button down on the ebrake instead of using the ratchet mechanism, you can keep from locking up.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:53 PM
2005 Avalanche White Xterra Off Road

It must have been a first gen X. The second gen's break signal overrides the throttle.

2005 X Off Road Auto. 2007 Frontier Nismo 6M.
NEXterra TheNewX ClubFrontier NEA4WD
NEXterra Executive Committee member.
Delegate to NEA4WD.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode