Out of Control Xterra - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

People are so damn stupid. Barefoot hit the nail on the head. People don't know how to operate a vehicle. They just know how to make it go in a direction more or less. How said is it that she needed someone else to tell her how to STOP it. Making a phone call came as a first though before neutral, killing the ignition, yanking the ebrake, steering it into a wall or guardrail and grinding it to a stop......

Human race is doomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 06:18 AM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
"The pedal stuck" seems like a good excuse for someone who doesn't know how to control a vehicle in a stressful, split-second situation.

>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>

>
|
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:30 PM
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Probably a floor mat.

I had a throttle spring break on my carb once when I was ~16 and it was a little scary at first, butnothing that wasn't hard to fix by going in neutral and shutting off ignition.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:00 PM
2006 Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtntrtl63X View Post
...emergency procedures aren't drilled nto new drivers.
Emergency procedures? We in SC can't get people to not drive in the left hand lane unless passing, or pull to the right when an emergency vehicle is approaching. lol
Mtntrtl63X likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 03:13 PM
2012 Metallic Green Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootXterra View Post
Emergency procedures? We in SC can't get people to not drive in the left hand lane unless passing, or pull to the right when an emergency vehicle is approaching. lol
Yea... I've been told I live in a fantasy world... Thinking the average person can think realistically with common sense...

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
BarefootXterra likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:08 PM
2007 Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonX View Post
Isn't shutting off the ignition a really bad idea? You lose power steering and brakes. Much better to shift to neutral, feather the ebrake to a stop, then hope you can kill your ignition before your motor blows.
Turning off the ignition could be a bad idea for people who can't keep cool under stress...if that lady turned it one step too far (easy to do under stress), the steering wheel could lock up and at that point she would have had bigger problems.

Stock 07 Xterra, dark gray, Off Road package, BFG KO2's tires.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran

Our xterras don't lock until the key is removed but I see what you are saying. Even then, if you kill the ignition, you are killing the power source. I'd kill the power source before I'd let it make me hit something full throttle.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 01:58 AM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Brakes are always stronger than engines. I believe Car and Driver did a whole series of tests on all kinds of cars that proved this several years back.
In nearly every reported case over the past few decades, the evidence points to human error, not car flaws, including Toyotas and all other makes.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:01 PM
Veteran
2014 Cayenne Red Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

drive a manual and push in the clutch with every time sad they are dying out in the states.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:12 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeolJon View Post
Brakes are always stronger than engines. I believe Car and Driver did a whole series of tests on all kinds of cars that proved this several years back.
In nearly every reported case over the past few decades, the evidence points to human error, not car flaws, including Toyotas and all other makes.

Car and driver did do that test. Brakes always won. There was only one instance where they got the car to not stop. 120MPH keep the gas pedal floored and hit the brakes. The brakes overheated and the car slowed to 10mph and held that speed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-acceleration

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode