Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

** The Dumb Question Thread **

207K views 2K replies 171 participants last post by  SledheadX 
#1 ·
Sometimes I've got a question and there's no handy place to ask it...

I've been wondering about this for a while... Why do the P4X guys care that the roof lights only come on with the high beams on? What situation do they get into that they want low beams and roof lights on instead of high beams?

#1,141 ·
So my problem is resolved now, pulling the front way bar off completely fixed what I thought were lca bushing problems. I've driven it 100 miles of interstate and on every single worst road I can think of around here and the ride is unbelievably smooth and stable now. To top it off I somehow am getting less sway than I was with the actual sway bar, which makes no sense. So life is great but I can't stop wondering what the problem was, was it too much lift for the factory sway bar? Does lifting cause the bar to be activated sooner and sooner the higher you go?

#1,142 ·
Been pondering while at work getting gas... just how many different mods have there been to the X floating around this forum (and others)? And who has done the most? If answer’s already here, sorry for repeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,154 · (Edited)
#1,163 ·
Here's a dumb question... And this is just me being bored and brainstorming. [emoji52]

Provided someone could fabricate the top hat with a throughbolt (like the Radflo design) wouldn't these work as another option for coilovers? Just add some 600 lbs springs and proper length bushings, right? Or... No? [emoji2371][emoji848]

If it'd work, these would be less than half the cost of Radflos, and with the added benefit of rebound adjustment. I dunno. [emoji52]

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...m8qDibJc8CorrJFB0Gwxm3DqLUz2V8khoCHIQQAvD_BwE

#1,173 ·
Oxford dictionary of American English says:

Car:
"a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people."

SUV:
"Sport Utility Vehicle"

Truck:
"a large, heavy road vehicle used for carrying goods, materials, or troops."

So..... Unless you're carrying goods, materials, or troops, it isn't a truck.
And if it isn't "sporty" or used for utility, it isn't an SUV.
So... The X, by definition is a car.

Plus, in most English-speaking countries car just means "whatever is parked outside"

#1,183 ·
I know we don't share any parts with first gen X's, but do our front hubs work in the same basic way for 4wd? Reason I'm asking is I know first gens can get an aftermarket manual hub. I've heard a second gen 2wd X gets one mpg better than a 4wd at least in part because the front wheels aren't turning the front driveshaft (that they don't have) I'm wondering if a first gen turns the front driveshaft like ours or if it auto unlocks when it's not in 4wd.

#1,187 ·
Getting ready to order my WK sliders and want to know what the protection/limitation differences are for 0 degrees and 25 degrees pitch. Like the look of 25 deg but not sure of the feel under my feet if I end up using them as a roof access platform. Also considering full diamond plate to act as "mud flaps" against my exposed tires. Does that help or does crap still spray up onto the body? Thx in advance everyone.

#1,188 ·
Another dumb question... anyone do a mod to the interior light functionality? doing an overnight “truck camping” solo event in Letchworth state park in NY and seeing a weird thing with my interior lights. Have the key on accessory and after 10 minutes or so I think, the lights can’t turn on anymore. The switches nor pressing the map lights do anything unless I take the key out or open the door. Then I’m good again. I don’t want that. When I’m in the back at night, I want to be able to turn the lights on anytime I want, but still have original switch functionality. Never had this with any other vehicle. I’m sure it’s a safety thing for the battery but.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,194 ·
Trying to replace my U-joints. I got off half of the drive shaft but the very front is taking its toll on me. It doesn't help you can't get a breaker bar or socket on to it.

I've tried touching it with MAPP gas and utilizing two wrenches for leverage. I'm starting to strip the flange nut. Any ideas before I throw in the towel and hand it over to the pros? I was really hoping to do this job myself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk