** The Dumb Question Thread ** - Page 99 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 467Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #981 of 1361 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAchief View Post
Anybody have any luck permanently fixing weather molding? Did a search and didn't come up with much. Thanks.
Yeah.... Here:
Weather Stripping Glue
CAchief likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #982 of 1361 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

I have a dumb question about U-Joints.

Spicer makes a bunch of models - the first being not greasable - fairly straight forward.

Then they make one with the grease fitting on the trunion. To me this would seem the most logical because it would be most likely to get new grease to all 4 caps.

The Spicer Life Series uses a grease fitting on one of the caps. Presumably this makes the trunion stronger, but I have these and it seems harder to get grease to all 4 bearings?

So for a mostly stock rig, which of these would be best / longest lasting. I suppose it doesn't really matter - all three will likely last a long time, but I am getting ready to do this again on my other rig and was wondering which to order.

Also, if your stock wouldn't you want your U-Joint to be the first thing to break before you broke something else in the drive train - a sacrificial anode so to speak, hence maybe the heavy duty Life Series aren't the best for that application?
post #983 of 1361 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Unless you get grease to come out of all 4 caps it won't matter where you put it in if you're trying to get fresh grease in all 4 caps. Also, after seeing video of a broken u-joint dropping a driveshaft down to pole vault the vehicle I don't want the u-joint to be the weak link.
idn88 likes this.

Last edited by Longboardr; 03-08-2019 at 03:36 PM.

post #984 of 1361 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
I'm not a fan of the greasable u-joints either because they're weaker by design because they have to have hollow ports to allow the grease to move through.

I replaced the originals on mine a few years ago around 120k and recently thought they might have gone bad and replaced them again around 40k later. When I took them apart they were completely fine, grease looked good, no visible wear, etc. probably would have lasted to 120k again. And these were the sealed units, unless you frequently submerge the entire assembly I don't think there's much benefit of greasable over sealed.
post #985 of 1361 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
I'm not a fan of the greasable u-joints either because they're weaker by design because they have to have hollow ports to allow the grease to move through.

I replaced the originals on mine a few years ago around 120k and recently thought they might have gone bad and replaced them again around 40k later. When I took them apart they were completely fine, grease looked good, no visible wear, etc. probably would have lasted to 120k again. And these were the sealed units, unless you frequently submerge the entire assembly I don't think there's much benefit of greasable over sealed.
I would agree your probably right that the sealed units last just as long unless in most cases. I might just go that way next time which is why I was asking. as for them being stronger - the sealed units are hollow also. They are pre-greased and that is where the grease is stored - so with centrifugal force the grease is forced into the cups over time. Without it I doubt they would last long at all. I don't think the ones with the grease fitting on the cup are any weaker, but the ones with the zirk on the body no doubt are.
post #986 of 1361 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 09:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Unless you get grease to come out of all 4 caps it won't matter where you put it in if you're trying to get fresh grease in all 4 caps. Also, after seeing video of a broken u-joint dropping a driveshaft down to pole vault the vehicle I don't want the u-joint to be the weak link.
I didn't think of this - thanks for reminding me!
post #987 of 1361 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:56 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Apparently this is on the newer Xs. Mine doesn't have it (2005 SE). Is it just for style or something? Or does it have a purpose?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #988 of 1361 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

I think it's to keep your body from sliding between the seat and the door in an accident. On the '14 and '15s?
Adam12SD likes this.
post #989 of 1361 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:46 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I think it's to keep your body from sliding between the seat and the door in an accident. On the '14 and '15s?
Noice. That makes sense. Thought maybe it was some type of map pocket or something.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #990 of 1361 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:02 AM
2012 Lava Red Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
** The Dumb Question Thread **

I have an engine block heater on my X and was thinking of splicing in a trickle charger into the 110 connection. Bad idea or...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by NWCoffeeGuy; 03-10-2019 at 01:47 AM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode